Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension pics... what's missing?
thefreak

posted on 21/10/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension pics... what's missing?

Ok, so I'm getting to the point where most things will be coming off the car to put them back on properly as it seems the part build wasn't as comprehensively done as I'd like.

What I'm trying to figure out is why there's all these washers packed in the pics below, and what are the options? Either make some inserts? Obtain the correct parts (either dampers or wishbones?)

And also, any suggestions as to what I can replace this spacer plate and stack of washers with?

Which is attached to this:

[Edited on 21-10-10 by thefreak]

[Edited on 21-10-10 by thefreak]

kendo

posted on 21/10/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I'd recommend is that you lock tabs on the brake caliper bolts.

I speak from bitter experience.

I lost one bolt from a caliper and when I braked (on the way home from SVA) the caliper spun on the remaining bolt and cut the alloy wheel in two!

Guess what I bought? Apart from a new alloy wheel.

thefreak

posted on 21/10/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Dont worry, it's far from finished yet Those calipers and disks are on for moving around the garage. I'll be replacing them when I get around to putting it on the road.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Washers are ok, but you need more because theres not enough and when someones done up the bolt its squashed the bracket.

Otherwise you can buy rosejoint spacers off ebay, which would probably do.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

tul214

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen washers used to pack shocks befor but it looks like there are some rubber washers in there too. That is wrong!

And the bottom ball joint is wrong on all levels. It looks like the bottom arm needs reaming out so that the ball joint slots in, or use a matched BBJoint.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Project7

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
It looks to me like the washers that have been used are the wrong size for the bolt, and they are mis-aligned because of it - particularly noticable on the bottom coilover mount.

quote:

And the bottom ball joint is wrong on all levels. It looks like the bottom arm needs reaming out so that the ball joint slots in, or use a matched BBJoint.

Agreed

James

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Using washers (cheap spacers ) is fine, but as said by Ben there should be more so that the bracket 'ears' don't bend inwards!
And the rubber/plastic ones??

I used a couple of sizes so I could get it really accurate.

If you fit single piece spacers, they're neater, but you will have no suspension adjustment so you may not want the single piece spacers until you've got the suspension 100%.

As for that plate and the washers... I think Bart Simpson says it well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZQF-3UHag

Unbelieveable!!!

There should be a ~30-40mm hole in the 3mm wishbone plate and the BJ sits in this.

TBH though, those wishbones are not all that great- having the plate welded like that to the wishbone arms causes a big stress raiser which can encourage the wishbones to bend.
If you're rebuilding the whole car anyway you could consider changing the wishbones too.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 21/10/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

thefreak

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Any suggestions what to change the wishbones to? and links?
adithorp

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Washers are fine to space out the shock mounts but those look too large for the bolts. Has the bottomjoint been spaced because it doesn't fit in the arm or is it because the arm would foul the brake disc? Either way it's wrong and need sorting either by reaming out the arm or making a properly shaped spacer plate.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

James

posted on 21/10/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Washers are fine to space out the shock mounts but those look too large for the bolts.

I would guess they're 1/2" bolts but 13mm washer right?

Only a guess as to the problem there though.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 21/10/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
Any suggestions what to change the wishbones to? and links?

Anyone got a link to that 'longest running thread' that was on here for months with the guy who'd had 2 pairs of similar wishbones bend?
Green wishbones and a v8 if I remember correctly.

Cheers,
James

myke pocock

posted on 21/10/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think if thats what the front end is like I would be checking the complete vehicle over, front to back, for hidden bodges. Looks to me like its been cobbled together already as it cannot have been built like that in the first place. CAN IT!!!??? What are the electrics like for starters?
thefreak

posted on 21/10/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Slowly working my way over it. The electrics will be fine when I've finished re-wiring them. the prop is getting replaced, all the panels are off and new being fitted. The fuel tank is good but needs a new sender and fuel hose.
The brake pipes are all good and the chassis is sound

mad4x4

posted on 21/10/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I would be concerned about the metal under the lower Ball Joint looks thin as it has buckled where the bolts have gone through. looks like it is made of "monkey metal".

Suggest beefing this up with a bit of 3mm welded in and bored correclty as a stiffener or better still get some better quality lower arms. Iwould also check the quality of the top arms as well.... (and the rear ones)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

mad4x4

posted on 21/10/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I would be concerned about the metal under the lower Ball Joint looks thin as it has buckled where the bolts have gone through. looks like it is made of "monkey metal".

Suggest beefing this up with a bit of 3mm welded in and bored correclty as a stiffener or better still get some better quality lower arms. Iwould also check the quality of the top arms as well.... (and the rear ones)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

James

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Some pics here of MK wishbones....

http://hellfire.locostsites.co.uk/200309.htm

There's plenty other similar designs around by other manufacturers.

Cheers,
James

thefreak

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm... the MK ones may well be an idea then.
Any ideas what hubs are pictured? I was told Sierra but not so sure now...

sebastiaan

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Uprights are Cortina.
thefreak

posted on 22/10/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Perfect. Thankyou very much. might just be better to get some MK ones then as I've been offered a set for a reasonable price.
What's the chances of:
1. Springs and dampers fitting
2. The mounts being in the correct place on the chassis...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.