Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto + type 9 engine + gearbox mounts
Doc

posted on 25/6/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto + type 9 engine + gearbox mounts

Friend of mine is building a locost with a pinto and type 9. Has anyone got any pictures of the engine and gearbox mounts in a standard chassis? The engine and box looks a little too far forward to us.
Thanks.

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Which bit in particular are you worried about? I have several shots, but don't want to bore everybody with too many images

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stressy

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
If it dont look right.....

Hi Doc,

My advise with fitting a pinto is to pull it back as far as you possibly can. Its a fair bit of weight and it can contribute fairly heavily to understeer.

JoelP

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
its possible i hold the record for pulling it back (short of having it in the boot), my gearstick is level with the side of the seat.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Doc

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
It looks to me like the gearbox mount is too far forward.
A picture of the gearbox mount position on the chassis and the clearance between the bellhousing and chassis would be great. Thanks.

JohnN

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The further back the better for balance, the rear of my engine is 40mm from the firewall/end of the footwell, ie the bellhousing is 90% in the tunnel. This is obviously only possible if making your own chassis ?

JohnN Rescued attachment engine in.jpg
Rescued attachment engine in.jpg

ray.h.

posted on 25/6/04 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
check my pics, they show where we put the gearbox mount.We pulled the bell housing to within 10mm of the bulkhead and used a plate from luego to mount the original gearbox rubber to but im sure you could make one quite easily.The only problem is that the gear lever is quite far away so a short person might need a remote gear lever.
Peteff

posted on 25/6/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I placed mine well back in the chassis and made my own mounts using the Sierra rubbers. I have some pictures in the archive. You can't place the gearbox mount till you decide how far back you want your engine. I put it in place then built the tunnel round it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/6/04 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Photo is a bit cluttered, but I think you can make out the position Rescued attachment Gearbox Position.JPG
Rescued attachment Gearbox Position.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/6/04 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
and another Rescued attachment Gearbox Position2.jpg
Rescued attachment Gearbox Position2.jpg

macspeedy

posted on 26/6/04 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
that is very similar (MA) to the mk pinto set up, we made an extension thingy available from westfield nr £80 well worth it!
macspeedy

posted on 26/6/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
also used this, due to type 9 normal being soft and it flapping about! Rescued attachment gear box mount.jpg
Rescued attachment gear box mount.jpg

macspeedy

posted on 26/6/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
we made very sim to this Rescued attachment type 9 gear box extension.jpg
Rescued attachment type 9 gear box extension.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/6/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I just filled the voids up with windscreen bond, its now nice and stiff! Rescued attachment GearboxMount.jpg
Rescued attachment GearboxMount.jpg

Peteff

posted on 26/6/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used the middle out of the original and put a big washer on the underneath to make it a more solid mount.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Doc

posted on 27/6/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. After this evening the gearbox is as far backwards as possible still allowing reasonable clearance. The gearbox mount needed moving 80mm!
Mark Allanson

posted on 27/6/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
The previous position would have been fine if you had a 3 cylinder Pinto

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/7/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have just put my engine/box back in the car for good this time, this shot should show the position better Rescued attachment Gearbox Spacing.jpg
Rescued attachment Gearbox Spacing.jpg

Peteff

posted on 3/7/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think mine's about 100mm further back than that. If you mount it too far forward your engine reaches the nosecone. Rescued attachment gearboxpos.JPG
Rescued attachment gearboxpos.JPG

yours, Pete

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/7/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

How have you done that?, my bellhousing is about 10mm off the uprights of the footwells, it is as far back as it will go in my chassis

chrisg

posted on 4/7/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
just a little word of warning, do all your measuring with the starter motor fitted, a number of people have fitted the engine and found a chassis tube where the starter wants to be!

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 4/7/04 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Peteff

posted on 4/7/04 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I put the engine and gearbox where I wanted then built the tunnel round them. It robs your foot space but I only take a 7 . It means putting the engine bay brace on the other side but it adds more space for the standard alternator to clear the steering.

yours, Pete

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/7/04 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
just a little word of warning, do all your measuring with the starter motor fitted, a number of people have fitted the engine and found a chassis tube where the starter wants to be!

Cheers

Chris

I was that soldier!!

[Edited on 4/7/04 by chrisg]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.