Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quality of GRP from Manufacturer.
loggyboy

posted on 25/1/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Quality of GRP from Manufacturer.

When I picked up the Striker at the weekend the rear arches were damaged (bad storage i think) so I left them and asked for a new set to be made up, which Raw were of course happy to do. However, on closer inspection of the other panels there are a few blemishes and marks, which im unsure is 'typical' of GRP.
They are all black so show obviously show every mark!
Rhe bonnet is near perfect so it seems it is possible, however the nose has scratches the rear rub is pretty bad (looks to be joined at the thin points over the arches, and and skuttle has a few chips and blemishes.

Am i expecting to much?
If down to bad storage, its obviously not right, but I am assuming some marks/blemishes are typical for Gelcoat/GRP, or am I wrong and should it be pretty much perfect as youd expect on a painted finish?

[Edited on 25/1/11 by loggyboy]

shaft

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Any moulded product can only ever be as good as the mould it is take from.
Over zealous application of the release agent can cause a cloudy finish.
Poor application of the gel coat won't be visible until the part is stripped out.
Resin flash specs left in a mould then they get laid up in the next component.
Scratches in the mould from cleaning with a dusty cloth.
The list is endless i'm afraid.

You can polish them with finecut T-cut which should remove small scratches / blemishes
ok and for any dents/chips you can use some gel coat as a filler then dress back finishing it
with 2000G wet & dry prior to polishing.

Another good method is to coat them with an Epoxy laquer such as 712 etc.

HTH,

Nick.

my opinion might be wrong you know...

My Zero Build Pics

BenB

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
A good polish with some Autosol will do wonders
interestedparty

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't expect GRP to be anywhere near approaching a painted finish. I think you need to look at it in the context of it being a kit car, and quite likely to get more 'blemishes' when it starts getting used (or built, even). Thing is, no-one here is going to be able to tell how bad your car is without seeing it, so suggestions will be limited I'm afraid.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

austin man

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally expect no marks chips scratches etc. Granted for the money RAW, MK, MAC 1's etc I wouldnt be expecting caterham , westfield quality but I wouldnt expect it to be to far off

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

nick205

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
There shouldn't be any chips in it - that would be down to mishandling IMHO.

Otherwise as commented above, the finish will not be perfect by any means. As with all Black cars, it's god's worst colour for showing imperfections, but always looks spanking when it's wet.

Once built, a really good polish up with Autoglym or similar will having looking more than presentable (for a few miles).

loggyboy

posted on 25/1/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, as I expected pretty much. Will ask Raw to consider swapping the scratched/chiped panels when they have the new arches prepared, as most marks seem to be down to storage.

[Edited on 25/1/11 by loggyboy]

loggyboy

posted on 4/2/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
A good polish with some Autosol will do wonders

The metal polish? or do they do a paint/bodywork version?

adithorp

posted on 4/2/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
The problem I had with the Fury was, having spent so long up close, building it, I knew every imperfection. Not just the GRP (Fury molds are overdue a refresh) but every mechanical bit I wasn't 100% happy with stood out like a sore thumb... untill you get on the road; Then it all fades away. Other people don't seem to notice the faults the same. Some people have seen my car regularly but not noticed the cracks in the bonnet and gaffer tape that've been there since I hit the armco at Cadwell 18 months ago!
Once you've files and smoothed out any flash lines and rubbed it down it'll look a lot better.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 4/2/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a very fair point. And im sure il catch a cone and mark it all on the first Solo i enter anyway!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.