Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 baffle plate - too restrictive
MK9R

posted on 31/1/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
r1 baffle plate - too restrictive

Got a 5vy R1 and baffle plate supplied by Malc, i just have a concern the plate looks a little too restrictive, what do you think?-

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oliver Jetson

posted on 31/1/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
No I wouldn't have thought so, it's designed to keep the oil pump pick up point submerged all of the time by stopping any oil slopping around under cornering etc
pewe

posted on 31/1/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe some watch-pocket slots to allow faster drain-down?
Cheers, Pewe

PAUL FISHER

posted on 31/1/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Looks fine to me, hot engine oil will find its way through that no problem.
Davey D

posted on 31/1/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
On mine ( 5vy with baffle plate) if i travel at a sustained 8k RPM for a few minutes on a motorway then my oil light comes on.

I think it is because it is either too restrictive at higher oil flow with higher revs, or that a lot of oil is flowing back down around the oil level light pushing the float back down again. once i drop my revs back down to 7krpm, then after about a minute the oil light goes back out again.

One of my jobs to do before the car goes back on the road in spring is to modify the baffle to remove the butterflies in the drain holes.

Major Stare

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have a very similar plate in my 5PW R1.

Most the oil is kept below the plate, so no worries. If it was a problem, it would be designed with more openings!

Jon "FISH"

adithorp

posted on 31/1/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I removed the "butterflys" from mine as I had the same problem as Davie D. Still got it but after 10000 miles and some very long runs with the level light on it's suffered no ill effects.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MK9R

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I was so worried i ordered a new one of AB Performance, when it turned up and i compared them the one i had is exactly the same, apart from the butterflys were no in it!! I've realised the photo flash makes some of the holes disappear!! Anyway at least i'm now confident it works, and will have one for sale now!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Guys I supply them to malc and some to AB so that is one of mine!
Butterflies removed not because of oil flow but because they eventually break off and end up in your sump.
I've sold these to racing teams in USA, Norway and Finland and they keep ordering more for projects.
Nothing is going to completely save your engine if you are an out and out racer like an accusump or drysump system, but these are a damn good cheap alternative for road cars.

[Edited on 14/2/2011 by nitram38]

MK9R

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Guys I supply them to malc so that is one of mine!
Butterflies removed not because of oil flow but because they eventually break off and end up in your sump.
I've sold these to racing teams in USA, Norway and Finland and they keep ordering more for projects.
Nothing is going to completely save your engine if you are an out and out racer like an accusump or drysump system, but these are a damn good cheap alternative for road cars.

so why didn't you post a few days ago and save me a load of dosh

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

nitram38

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Guys I supply them to malc so that is one of mine!

so why didn't you post a few days ago and save me a load of dosh

You should have done a search or asked on here first?

andyfiggy2002
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 10/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: built megablade in 2004 & ive still got it

posted on 14/2/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
linky

linky2

my blade baffle plate supplied by westfield is made out of aluminium sheet, so simple & not machined like these complicated R1 jobs

[Edited on 14/2/11 by andyfiggy2002]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.