Carbs
Injection

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbs or fuel injection
matty h

posted on 15/3/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Carbs or fuel injection

Which does everyone prefer carbs or injection.
blakep82

posted on 15/3/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
carbs for me, just for the lack of extra fuel pipes, sensors, wiring etc to go wrong.

with injection there's so many things that can be at fault if you get a problem, carbs are a lot easier to fix at the road side i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Chippy

posted on 15/3/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Injection every time, far easier to get the correct mixture without faffing about with dozens of jets, and you can adjust all across the rev range. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

austin man

posted on 15/3/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
old school nearly always get you home depend on a pump, a spark and juice and no electrickery to make em go wrong, agreed that once injection is set up then its set for good.

Oh and there is that nice burble as you back off because ya knows shes overfuelled

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tomgregory2000

posted on 15/3/11 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Injection!!!!!!!!!!!

Best thing to spend your money on, parked my car up 6 months ago and then 6 months later i go out to it and turn the key and away i go, no p1ssing about with choke and keeping everything in balance.

Ive had carbs and never agen, plus much better mpg and the correct fueling across the entire rev/load range on the engine.

Move with the times

[Edited on 15/3/11 by tomgregory2000]

kensprin

posted on 15/3/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've gone from carbs to injection. better power to fuel ratio. if you want a burble (off throttle) for unburned fuel its easy todo
zetec

posted on 16/3/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Had injection fitted from start, 8 years now. Never gone wrong and I used s/h pump and injectors. Easy diags using a lap top to check sensors. If throttle position sensor, coolant sensor, air temp sensor or crank sensor stop working then you wont get a reading. To check the pump just listen, if it not running it's not working. The chances of all the injectors stopping is very slim, and they are easily tested or replaced if they do go faulty. Make a decent job of the wiring and fit a decent fuel filter and injection should be very reliable.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

britishtrident

posted on 16/3/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Injection is a quantum leap over carbs.
whitestu

posted on 16/3/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
In theory efi, but! On a standard motor I think carbs are much easier and much cheaper. My bike carb set up seems to work just as well as TB setups I've seen with similar or better MPG and similar performance.

Bike carb set up is very easy to do - probably easier than efi. Mine have been on for a couple of years with no attention - the car starts very easily after standing for months.

Stu

turnipfarmer

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I remember carbs! My grandad used to tell me about the one he had on his autocycle when he was a lad.
Lightning

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I thought carbs would be an arse to get emmisions through IvA. Not a bit, easy.
Both idle and 2500 revs is on idle jets. So just screwed in or out to get mixture correct. Did the at the test station.

I think injection however wuold be easier to set up overall. Every time I had to change the jets, all the carbs had to come off. 25 mins best time for carbs off, floats chambers off, change jets, float chambers back on, carbs back on.

Steve

BenB

posted on 16/3/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
EFi every time. More flexible, more efficient, more power. On the other hand more complicated Perhaps in the days of early EFi, carbs had the edge on "more reliable" but not any more. My old tintop is 14 years old and it's not been adjusted once, can't imagine the same could be true of carbs!
coozer

posted on 16/3/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bike caarbs for me, I reckon my venture into EFI has been a complete waste with no gain, and substantiatiol economy and money losses...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only I could see it coming...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ashg

posted on 16/3/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
the question is name a mass production car in the last 20 years that has rolled out of a factory with carbs. I don't think you would need more than one hand. i had bike carbs on my pinto purely because the efi inlet manifold wouldn't fit and bike carbs were cheaper than tb's and a custom ecu. last year i drove the thing down to exeter and averaged 25mpg from a 1600. have just finished fitting a 2.0 saab turbo engine with ms3 efi and expect at least 30mpg for over 150% power increase.

why bother with carbs when with fuel injection you can have economy and power along with the ease of on the spot no tools required tuning.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

alawrence

posted on 16/3/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I luv carbs i do....chips is my fave init
matty h

posted on 16/3/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I was running standard vauxhall injection but have now fitted r1 carbs they have got to be better than standard vauxhall stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.