Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big end bearings
LittleAl

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Big end bearings

Hi I have just stripped my 1600 x flow only to find it is a 1700 x flow. The bearing shells on the pistons look slightly worn with the upper ones having copper showing through. It is possible i have a oil pump problem or pickup problem. Is it always necessary to grind the crank before fitting new shells? would it be worth getting the details of the shells fitted and get a new set ? don't really want to start taking out crank etc. Thanks
britishtrident

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
You need to polish up the big end journals then check journals for ovality using a micrometer or digital calipers.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
see http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14050/css/14050_73.htm

You can use solder wire instead of Plastigauge for measuring the clearance -

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

austin man

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
go for a regrind , polish and new oversize bearings while your at it have the flywheel clutc etc balanced as well

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

snapper

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the crank journals are clean and round, just fit new bearings, no point in getting the crank ground unless it is scoffed or oval.
Fit a high pressure, high capacity oil pump, you'll be fine.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto. I have rebuilt many engines without grinding the cranks. If you look at some of the old workshop manuals they recommended changing thj ebearings at intervals, Triumph suggested 40K for BE and 50K for mains, helpful or what!

Anyway, a visual inpection is often enough, and even the odd light score has little effect. Check the oil pump is in tolerance or just fit a new one, but ask about as some repro stuff is out of tolerance before it is fitted. Likewise bearings, cheap is not usually good. Worth checking the thrusts washers too while you are at it, and the mains.

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Unlike the very early Kent engines the xflo wasn't prone to bearing problems in normal tintop use, however the pistons are relatively heavy and when revved hard the bearings are subject to accelerated wear. The early pre-xflo Kent engines were prone to the oil galleries sludging up causing big end failure as low as 25k miles but Ford addresed this problem but the xflo still tends to produce a lot of tarry sludge so requires a highly detergent oil with a relatively low cold end viscosity.
perksy

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
ANY Doubts, Definetly get a Micrometer on the crank journals and check them for ovality and taper

DON'T be tempted to just slap a new set of bearings in and go for it
Have seen this done a few times now and they started knocking again within 100 miles

Whilst its in bits, get it measured (doesn't take long) and then go from there...

You'll then have solid base to work from

[Edited on 9/4/11 by perksy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.