Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel starvation when cornering
kensprin

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel starvation when cornering

When my tank us about half empty when I corner fast on a left hand turn fuel goes to the right side of the tank and engine dies. Out of the corner the power is back. Is there a easy solution to cure this? Do I need a swirl pot or something maybe baffles in the tank.

I'm using s standard ford in tank fuel pump with return in the left side of the tank.

When the tank is full I don't get this problem so I'm assuming it air getting into fuel

scudderfish

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
You either need to take the tank out and baffle it, or add a surge tank and another HP pump.

austin man

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
swirl pot should do it probably the cheapeast option too

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

blakep82

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
baffles and or swirl pot is the way to do it. neither are cheap and easy unfortunately...

but had a thought to myself... assuming the fuel pick up is at one end of the tank, i wonder what would happen if you put another pickup in the other end of the tank and the return at the middle for example.
both pick ups T'd together, one will always be in fuel. but will the pump still try to suck the air? i don't know...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Chippy

posted on 24/4/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
When I fitted my V6 I used the Ford in tank pump and got the same problem, reason is that the Ford tank has a swirl pot built in, and mine, and I guess yours, doesnt. I modified my tank and fitted an in tank set up from a Range Rover which has it's own swirl pot, works fine, but I only went that way due to having to make a new tank anyway. I would think that an external pump and swirl pot set up would be your easiest, and cheapest way to go. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

snapper

posted on 25/4/11 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote
Just fitted a swirl pot as I had the same problem, usually as I exited a roundabout after a brisk entry.
Used the original silver top as the main feed from pot to carbs and bought a cheap Rally Design/ unmarked Facet solid state as a lift pump.
I used a lot of 10mm fuel pipe and a lot of fuel unions as the original pickup and returns were 8mm the swirle pot is 10mm.
A problem to be aware of is the tank breathing, the swirl pot breaths from the top as a return is not needed with carbs, I fitted a simple non return valve, air in not fuel out, but did not now have a breather to the tank, this resulted in the tank either pressurising or holding vacuum.
I then used a metal in hose adaptor in the top of the rubber filler neck and a small pipe to a cheap pit bike breather, all seems ok now.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

kensprin

posted on 25/4/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
So with a swirl pot do I need a low pressure facet to fill the pot for the tank this will mean I will have to ditch the intank one. And install another high pressure after the swirl pot to the injectors?

I have standard 30 ltr Robin hood tank not baffled. Wonder if I used a outside hp pump with a pickup in the middle bottom of the tank will help?

Chippy

posted on 25/4/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that you do it right and scrap the in tank Ford pump. You will need a normal pump to fill the swirl pot, and a high pressure pump to feed the engine, you will also need a couple of filters one low pressure and one high. Doing it any other way will just give you greif. IMHO. I know that somebody did post a diagram of the idea set up but can't find it, (not very good with the search function, ) HTH Ray

Edit to ask, How did you get over the VIS problem fitting a BOB? Mines a BOA so no problem!

[Edited on 25-4-11 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

kensprin

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers I'll look into it.

Vis is just a valve inbetweent the 2 ducts normally open . The eecv would close it at 2500rpm via a vacuum as im running the boa ecu don't have that function I'm just keeping it closed for optimum intake it seems okay. Just running back to idle might drop a few rev to about 500rpm after booting it but it soon pick up back to 900.

The bob is awesome no complaints yet. Had to use the boa maf that was the only thing that caused the hasle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.