Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin engined car
sprouts-car

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Twin engined car

I've been wondering about cars with more than one engine.
For instance the z-car ultima with two hayabusa engines.
In that car i believe one engine powers the front and one the back with some very clever electronics to control them.

What would the problem be of just connecting two engines up to the same diff.
I'm thinking two bike engines, so two gearboxes. Then two chains down to the same diff.

Would the engines be "fighting" each other?

OR

What if you had each engine output going into each side of a differential. Then if the engines aren't going at the same speed its less of an issue.

This isn't a plan just a crazy line of thinking.

All thoughts welcome...

Build blog

JeffHs

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Many many years ago I saw a twin engined grass track car called I think a Buffy Mowog. It had mini engines front and back and no clever control systems. He stalled one engine on the start line and the rest of the field, all 2wd, leapt ahead until he manged to bump start the 2nd engine when it shot through the pack and left them for dead. Most impressive but must have been a nightmare to drive
JacksAvon

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
See link below, Tiger Racing did this years ago, mental to drive.

http://www.tigerracing.com/z100.php

britishtrident

posted on 25/5/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Twined Tiger famously blew up it transmission on Top Gear.

Whole thing is a can of worms.

gavin174

posted on 25/5/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Russ Bost built a twin engined Furore (2 x ZX10) one driving each rear wheel

Sva'd and on the road.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

40inches

posted on 25/5/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger Z100

Oliver Jetson

posted on 25/5/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield Twin Bike Engined

Fred W B

posted on 25/5/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I don't see a problem with two engines driving a common output/jackshaft. They will be constrained to run at the same RPM (unless a dual chain drive has slightly different ratios for each engine - maybe an idea to broaden the power peak) and even if they make different power they will both contribute to the force moving the car along.

Biggest issue from what little I've read is controlling the chain slack/tension, if chain drive.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 25/5/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

adithorp

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
I don't see a problem with two engines driving a common output/jackshaft. They will be constrained to run at the same RPM (unless a dual chain drive has slightly different ratios for each engine - maybe an idea to broaden the power peak) and even if they make different power they will both contribute to the force moving the car along.

Biggest issue from what little I've read is controlling the chain slack/tension, if chain drive.

Cheers

Fred W B

One problem is that if one engine misses a gear change the rev limiter can't save it as the second engine drives the revs up.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

sprouts-car

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Cheers

Fred W B

One problem is that if one engine misses a gear change the rev limiter can't save it as the second engine drives the revs up.

Unless the rev limiter could cut both engines.

Build blog

Fred W B

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, but you could maybe have the rev limiters/engine mangement/s configured to cut both engines if just one is over-revving?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
so we posted at the same time......

Cheers

Fred W B

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Cheers

Fred W B

If you can be bothered to put 2 engines in a car, then it wouldn't be difficult to provide some control circuitry to prevent this happening!

Thousands of ways of doing it. What about:

having the ECU from one engine driving the fueling on the other engine and vice versa. This wouldn't work for sparks (as the engines won't be in phase) but fueling is more forgiving.
or
have circuit that requires the two engines to be in the same gear, or cuts power
or
have an external rev limiter for each engine that cuts both engines
or
having a gear shift that forces both engines to be in the same gear

To build a car of this complexity and fail to implement a basic interlock would be foolish. The downshift problem is still present, but we all have that to deal with to some degree.

Matt

sprouts-car

posted on 25/5/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
What about linking through some sort of differential used in reverse. Then different speed and even different gears are less of an issue?

Build blog

Liam

posted on 25/5/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
unless a dual chain drive has slightly different ratios for each engine - maybe an idea to broaden the power peak

[Dr Evil look]

Iiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting

[/Dr Evil look]

Forget compound turbocharging - I propose compound twin-engine-ing! A diesel for the low-end grunt driving a common shaft with a bike engine (appropriately geared) providing the top-end! Mu ha ha ha haaaa - motorsport domination is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/5/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
^ thats what twin engines karts do

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 25/5/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
as said above, it cant be too hard to make a revlimiter that cuts both engines when either hits max rpm. Also, though missed gears are quite common on bike engines, i would imagine that a pair of flatshifters would have a much lower failure rate. Then just have an additional button to only change gear on one engine, in case they do end up out of sync.

In fact, if flatshifters can be linked to the ecu, i bet you could make it automatically correct a missed gear.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 25/5/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

And clearly you know why it blew up given the can of worms comment then BT???

Just so you know - Tiff thought he knew better than Chris Allanson and missed a gear change on one of the engines after being given specific instructions on how to change!! Driver error / stupidity rather than can of worms!!

blakep82

posted on 25/5/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
ah, 5th gear! thats why i never saw it then

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 25/5/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ah, 5th gear! thats why i never saw it then

Just for you Blake

Minicooper

posted on 26/5/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Here is one, who is brave/rich enough

TWIN BIKE ENGINED MINI COOPER | eBay UK

Cheers
David

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

More like clumsy "Tiffany Dell" broke Chris Allansons dream car!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

froggy

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
done this with a pair of tl 1000 v twins and although interesting its not a good idea as there are many synchronisation issues and however well put together you cant drive it 100% as missed gearchanges are always in the back of your mind .

plenty of easier ways to make more power

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

coyoteboy

posted on 5/7/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I keep coming back to this as, while playing around with a few bike engines, I can't seem to get them to mis-shift in a way that would allow one to shift and one not - if it doesn't shift it jams the shift lever on the engines I've been faffing on. If they're both linked rigidly and one jams, what's the chances of the other going in? Genuinely quite curious to hear more from those who've done it like you froggy. A pair of vfr 750s would knock out 200hp and weigh around 120kg (engines only) which is pretty competitive. Never get something for nothing though I suppose!
froggy

posted on 6/7/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Mine made 220 whp on open exhausts but failed noise miserably on track days . Peak torque was 160 lb/ft so losses were pretty low , the chain maintenance got very old having 2 chains onto the jackshaft then another to the final drive which stretched twice as much .

Makes sense for a grass track car but not for Tarmac or road use imo

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.