Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec/gearbox/injection or webbers?
Mave

posted on 9/9/02 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec/gearbox/injection or webbers?

Okay, these are probably questions which have been asked a million times before, but anyway, help a newbie:

-How can you connect a Zetec (1.8-2.0) to Type 9 or MT75 gearbox? Does it just bolt on, or do you need a special bellhousing?

- Which box is prefered, and why?

- To save costs, it seems to me it's easy to use the existing EFI system, instead of mounting a pair of Webbers. But why do I see Zetec's with Webbers everywhere? Why shouldn't I just use the fuel injection system supplied with the engine?

- BEC is also still an option, but since I also want to use the car to cruise around, I'm wondering how practical a BEC is. How's the noise, compared to a "CEC"? And overall driveability? Isn't a BEC too "nervous" to use in traffic?

I'm looking forward to some help on this subject, so I can decide which way to go...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jbmcsorley

posted on 11/9/02 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The bolt pattern on the MT75 is identical to the Zetec. If the Zetec was originally fit with a 5 speed then you are in business. The only challenge is fitting the starter from the MT75 donor around the sump pan of the Zetec (requires some creative grinding, but that's all). The Ford Focus pan is different (and a little more accomodating) than the Mondeo (Contour) pan. A new pan can be had from Raceline. It is exactly what the doctor ordered for a high performance RWD configuration, but you're going to pay dearly (something like $500US... or maybe 500quid... I don't recall... a lot either way).

I know that the pinto and zetec bolt patterns are identical... so if the T9 is sourced from an old Pinto 2L, then again you are in business (not as easy in the States... bugger all). Again you might have to get creative with the big ole' sierra starter.

Birkin makes an excellent bellhousing for joining a T9 to a Zetec and it uses the original Zetec starter (smaller, lighter, high torque) in the original location (out of the way of your feet).... It's a brilliant solution, but about $300US.

I highly recommend you source a Zetec that was originally fit with a 5 speed instead of trying to convert from an automatic. Otherwise you'll need a manual flywheel, starter, and crank sensor bushing/housing as a minimum... not impossible... just more bits to buy.

I don't have direct experience with either box, but I know that the T9 is lighter than most and it is sufficient for all but a truly worked-over Zetec. You might consider gearing ratios as well when making a choice.

I plan to use the stock fuel delivery system... my Zetec is from a Mondeo (contour). The intake manifold is a massive beast that will barely fit under my custom chassis's bonnet.

In relatively stock form, this engine will put out 140 ponies... plenty for me... no need to go with the extra cost of webbers. I pulled all the donor wiring and computer to go with it.... Maybe that's why a lot of people go with webbers... they didn't get all the accessories from the start.

Not familiar with the term BEC and CEC... no opinion there.

Cheers,
-Jim M.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 11/9/02 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
.......Not familiar with the term BEC and CEC... no opinion there.

Cheers,
-Jim M.

Jim,

BEC - Bike engined car
CEC - Car engined car

Jon Ison

posted on 12/9/02 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
you can tootle all day at sub 30mph in a BEC, so don't let that put you off.....

chrisg

posted on 12/9/02 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Try:-

http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk/eng_gear_comb.htm

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/9/02 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
you can tootle all day at sub 30mph in a BEC, so don't let that put you off.....

but have you tried it john to actually say this from real experience?

or was it untill you passed the police car

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.