Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TT V8 or Bike engine?
rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
no sorry i was just half asleep when i wrote it
i meant a busa bec

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 20/9/02 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't a 'busa engine about £3K thou?

Or have I been cruelly mislead?

James

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds about right

cheaper than the V8 tho

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 20/9/02 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Really? What sort of money is a V8? Or were you including the turbos and stuff in that?

James

interestedparty

posted on 20/9/02 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you want lots of power for your money, and from a new or rebuilt engine, then it has to be either bike or Chevy 350 (5.7ltr)V8. The bike engine is definitely smaller, and probably a bit lighter too
Rover v8s can be bought for not much at all but the cost of reconditioning and tuning can make them seem like not such a bargain

John

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
i worked out by time iv finished with the V8 id either spend 5K on parts

or spend 7k on a new corvette LS1 V8

im working out the fastest bike engine for the money and weight
it seems like the busa, zx-12 or R1 come out on top

im thinking the R1 is better tho due to being 20kg lighter than the busa, higher reving nearly as powerfull and a lot cheaper (more money to spend on lightened parts)

dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
nah.. dunno where your talking about buying bits from, but you can build a reliable 350 chev for not much at all... parts are SOO widely reproduced for these engines that you can get a set of forged pistons for them for under 300 USD, so like £200 for the SET. i'd guestimate you could, even allowing for ripoff machining and headwork, build a 300hp 350chev for about £1500 (cast flattops, lt-1 valve springs, crane cam and lifters, arp rod bolts, 4bbl manifold,600 holley carb ect)
i'd say you could build a reliable 450-500 hp engine for about £3000 (worked heads, solid cam, roller rockers, steel crank, forged slugs ect) as for new engines, the 350 chev out of the holden HSV line of vehicles, producing 400bhp can be purchased in a crate for A$8000, or about £2700 with the atrocious exchange rate, add £500 max for shipping and another £500 for paperwork and tax and you have a new corvette engine for £3700.

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
ok well you got my attention

where do i find sombody to ship one of these over?

i do like the idea of a bec but the V8's do have a helluva sound to em

dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
alternately, if your set on v8, you can get hold of a lexus 4.0 (toyota) v8 halfcut for nix in japan or about A$2500 in oz, not sure in UK, this is rated at 260bhp, and with the halfcut you'd get some nice big disc brakes ect. or if your not set on v8, better choice would be a toyota 2.5l 1jzgte, little brother of the recent supra engine, about the same money in halfcut form and good for the jap legal max of 280odd bhp, with 500+ available WITHOUT internal mods, ie, just bolt on a bigger SINGLE turbo and intercooler and programmable management system.
the lexus v8 also takes supercharger kits quite easily...
regards
dave

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
actually iv been mulling over the idea of a Audi V6 turbo diesel engine

but i think one of these would be well out my price range

its all very well having cheap engines in other countrys but id need to find sombody to post it over

Macca

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 4 bolt mains ( the one to have ) 350ci/ 5.7 litre small block chevy engine for sale. It's only in Liverpool ( near Chester )Complete and standard!!!!
Col

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
how much?

wasnt looking at buying till the new year
but if the price is right i might be able to scrape the cash together

Macca

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at around 4 ton,but will deal.
I'm in no panic to sell but if you are interested will keep hold of it for a month or two!
Col

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good mate

can u gimmie some more details on it?

what gearbox will i need for it?
how many miles has it done? condition ect?
running on carbs i assume?

interestedparty

posted on 20/9/02 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
as for new engines, the 350 chev out of the holden HSV line of vehicles, producing 400bhp can be purchased in a crate for A$8000, or about £2700 with the atrocious exchange rate, add £500 max for shipping and another £500 for paperwork and tax and you have a new corvette engine for £3700.

I'd like to know more about that engine. I'm going to assume that it would be an LS1 rather than an actual Corvette engine, but would that price be for just a bare engine or would it include the injection and ecu?

John

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
scrap injection
slap on some webbers

Macca

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I removed the motor out of a chevy blazer, it was showing 87k on the clock?
It was running,I believe you can fit the cossy T5 box to them and it is runnuing standard carb.If you are serious about one of these engines get a catalogue from Real Steel etc. and check out the prices of parts/tunning.Std pistons 75 pound. For all eight!!! Top end gasket set 18.62 How does that compare to the rover?
Col

rallyslag

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
sounds great mate

a nice seasoned block for when i blue print it aswell
consider it sold (just gimmie a month to get the cash)

btw is it the block thats made of iron or alloy?
where abouts are you mate? im just over the water near birkenhead

oh and that GM 6-71 blower thing was exactly what i was looking for to stick out of the bonnet
i just didnt know its name

dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
okey, firstly, with regards to the older gen 350s, i'm pretty sure if you have a quick look online you'll find a company in the states in a coastal city whom would be more than happy to find you a base 010 4 bolt motor (pay no more than $3-500 US for a complete rebuilder) and, since you'd get it cheaper shipping all in one go, order the rest of the parts you'd want at the same time, alternately you probably CAN get them cheap enough in the UK if you hunt around. if you want a fully built motor, depending on how much money you want to spend, try COME (chev offroad and marine engines) engineering, in australia, they have a good website with a comprehensive list, and all of thier engines arrive g'ted to produce the power on the dyno, they have a good variety starting at about £1800, with the current exchange rate, all fully rebuilt motors. they'd prolly be happy to organise shipping as well. they have a stomper of a 383 stroker for about A$13000, or £5000, puts out almost 600bhp, natrually aspirated..
if you do want something from australia, which the company you want it from wont organise shipping, i know of an export broker who will secure whatever you want and ship it for you, but they do charge... in the region of 5-10% ofthe value of whatever your getting..

dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
with regards to the jap import halfcuts, i'd expect there would be someone in the UK bringing them in, if not, its a bloody good business for anyone who wants to set it up, they're 20-50000 YEN in japan, and would end up in the UK for a few hundred quid, and sell for at least a grand. if not, the same thing, ring an aussie jap importer and i'd say they'd be happy to ship, or contact the broker i mentioned earlier.
dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
with regards to the new crate motors, i believe i've made a liar of myself... your right, the 8000 buck ones are the standard LS-1 ones, good for 320hp standard, and no, they dont come with ECUs, but do come with injection, but if you were going to go to the effort of importing one, you could easily get a Hawk programmable management system for an additional 1000, or £350, half of what you could get one for in the uk.
with regards to the HSV, if anyone is interested in them, but doesnt like the concept of forking out £50000, you can get a BRAND NEW commodore SS 5.7, effectively the same car without the bodykit and options for A37000 NEW, or £12500, prolly have it on the road in the UK for under £20K, the calloway tweeked LS1 (vette) engines, as used in the HSV, are about A$13000 i think.
there is also BULK tuning parts available for them now in aus, pretty good prices too.
regards dave

dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
ye gods...
in order to run webbers on an engine of that size you generally have to use 4X48mm IDA, as in detomaso pantera style (on a 351 clevo in that example)
that setup is just fine, provided you want to tune it every weekend.. keeping 4 carbs in simultaneous tune is not my idea of fun..
holden/chev injection is quite good, not too restrictive, and can be improved on, but if you MUST use a carb, a single 750cfm square bore holley would do nicely.

dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
yea, the T5 goes okey on a 350, provided you keep power at a REASONABLE level... they dont cope with high power smallblocks that well.... personally, if you've got a big budget, i'd get hold of a T56 6 speed, should be able to get one for not much more than £1000, if you can find one.
dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
i THINK that'd be a gen II 350, good solid cast iron......
dashin_dave

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
finally, (this is only like my 7th post on this topic) i did track down the COME website, www.comeracing.com, and here is part of their pricelist, if you go to the site and check out the individual packages, then you'll have a better idea as to whats done to each...
350 STREETMASTER S.T-2 – 240-280 BHP
A$3410

350 STREETMASTER S.T-3 – 280-340 BHP
A$3850

350 BRACKETMASTER DART SR HEADS – 350+ BHP
A$ 7700

350 BRACKETMASTER ALUMINIUM HEADS – 380+ HP
A$ 9350

350 BRACKETMASTER "WEEKEND WARRIOR" ALUMINIUM HEADS (OUTRIGHT) – 450 BHP
A$ 13200

383 STREETMASTER S.T-2 – 250-300 BHP
A$5500

383 STREETMASTER S.T-3 – 300-360 BHP
A$

383 BRACKETMASTER DART SR HEADS (OUTRIGHT) – 360-400 BHP
A$ 11000

383 BRACKETMASTER ALUMINIUM HEADS (OUTRIGHT) – 360-420 BHP
A$ 12650

383 ULTIMATE RACER PRO ALUMINIUM HEADS (OUTRIGHT) – 500+ BHP
A$

383 "TERMINATOR" (OUTRIGHT) – 600+ BHP
A$24200

with regards to conversion, with the rubbish exchange rate, 1 pound- $3 is the current rule of thumb.. last week $500AUD got me 168.37 GBP. so you can get a 350 fully rebuilt through them for 1200 quid, prolly 1500 if they have to source you a basic motor, plus say 500 packaging, and 500 tax ect at the UK end.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.