Wadders

posted on 20/9/02 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yank V8 in a locost??? yeah loadsa power that
you'll never use. The chassis will most likely spin round the crank
I'll wave bye bye at the first corner.
Long live mr kawasaki san!

john_s

posted on 21/9/02 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Macca... if rallyslag changes his mind about the engine, let me know cause i'm interested.

Thanks.

John.

--
John Singleton

dashin_dave

posted on 21/9/02 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
here we go, i'm about to step onto my soapbox on a topic i have zero experience with, apart from knowing how various engines perform in regular, non locost vehicles.
(i've defended yank v8's more times than i can remember now, i cant help having a soft spot for them)
as far as i can tell, there are positives and negatives for both applications for use in a locost type vehicle. MYSELF, if i was building a big dollar locost, would PROBABLY end up using a jap import turbo job, possibly a nissan SR20DET, which, with a decent amount of work ($5-10000AUD), can punch out 500hp plus whatever shot of gas you want to put into it, ridiculous amounts of work can generate 700+bhp AT THE WHEELS from that engine, plus gas, but spending 40-50K USD on an engine is just beyond me. using that engine, you'd get the benefits of it still being a 4cyl in size ect, with high output. With regards to BEC, from what i can tell/guess, they have the ability to be very quick, effective track tools if you want no comfort and no practicality, effectively a road registered go-kart, then BEC sounds good. In the case of the v8, then you have ground thumping torque and bhp, at the expense of weight and potential handling, this can be assisted somewhat, since as you dont have to be stripped out to save weight, you can run power steering, and therefor big, wide sticky tyres. another negative particularly applicable in the UK, due to cost of petrol, is economy, from a mildly worked chev, expect no better than 15mpg, and a seriously worked one, start calculating in gallons to the mile. on the positives, with the V8's torque, you can have every concievable luxury in your locost with an absolute minimal loss in performance. if mild versions of these engines can do 0-60 in mid 4 secs in 1700kg cars, then how quick are they in luxury fitted out locosts which, id guess, would still come in at 900-1000kg. as for never using the power, how long are the straights and high speed sections on tracks in the UK?
as far as i have read, BEC tend to top out at 120 or so, and take a bit to wind out after 110, so on any straight longer than a few hundred metres, they'd be starting to top out wouldnt they? the v8, on the other hand, will accelerate from 100-XXX depending on your gearing, at a similar rate or acceleration that it went from 60-100. on the other foot, the v8 would be a big handful on the track.. anything that can smoke the tyres at 60mph when you put your foot down will require some caution to drive.
anyhow, i could ramble on all day, but my point is that there is potentially a use for a SB chev in a locost, in my humble opinion.

rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
deffinatly gonna have that engine mate

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 21/9/02 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
100% BEC guy ere, but can i have 1st ride in the V8 yank tank locost when its done.....should be awsome.........

rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
i want the first mad max locost

and jon sure thing

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.