Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: radiator hose joining tube
alankd

posted on 15/9/02 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
radiator hose joining tube

whats the best way to join radiator hose? ive seen everthing from copper tube to stainless steel, what gauge does if have to be, also since plain tube does not have any ridges to hold rubber tube over is there a problem from comming off under preasure, or is there any tricks to use.
Alankd

theconrodkid

posted on 15/9/02 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I used some stainless,came from a wardrobe,the bit you hang hangers on,hasnt fallen off yet,i got plenty left over and its the right size for fords,if your anywhere near london gis a shout
johnston

posted on 15/9/02 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
if ur wooried bout the pipes comin off get a small flare put in the steel (some exhaust guys can do it)
or just put a small ridge of weld round the edge

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/9/02 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Jaguar (on their xjs) used several pipes made from mild steel in between the rubber bits. the water filler is one example. After 15+ yeaers they can rust out, but i doubt we keep cars that long.

I used a length of mild steel tube bought in straight lengths from a motor factors selling exhausts. weld a ridge on it or its very likely to blow off the pipe.

atb

steve

MrFluffy

posted on 15/9/02 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
You might find :-
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/icpipebead.htm
Of use, and hand up anyone that looks at that pro beading tool in the foto and thinks "I can make one of them from a old mangle"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/9/02 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have a "Model Engineering Workshop" article at home that tells you how to make a small jenny like that - trouble is, you need a lathe and heaps of time that's better spent on building the Locost!

Seriously tho', I need a 6" long hose connector, for 32mm id hoses. Best I've seen is nearly £9 from Demon Tweeks - no way - time to get the lathe running!

rgds,

David

david walker

posted on 16/9/02 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I used offcuts of stainless steel exhaust and its fine.

You don't need flares on the end as long as you use a pipe diameter thats a snug fit inside the hose and of course good hose clips. Pressure will not blow it off!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/9/02 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I used offcuts of stainless steel exhaust and its fine.

You don't need flares on the end as long as you use a pipe diameter thats a snug fit inside the hose and of course good hose clips. Pressure will not blow it off!

Thats what I thought on my nice tight hoses until one blew off when i ran it in the garage.

Manufacturers put a ridge on there for a reason so i found.

atb

steve

MrFluffy

posted on 16/9/02 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
It could have been worse, it could have been your oilcooler pipes on a bec blowing off, they DEFINATLY need flares on them.Oil on the tyres being pumped out at pump pressure from the cooler oil gallery isnt fun.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 16/9/02 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I turned a hose connector from thick wall alloy tube to adapt from 32mm to 38mm and as it was 40mm od i was able to machine in the ridges on each end . it fitted to the bottom hose great but now i need it to be a tee piece to allow me to connect the expansion bttle so will have to find some more bar and weld in a tee.
Paul.
quote:
I have a "Model Engineering Workshop" article at home that tells you how to make a small jenny like that - trouble is, you need a lathe and heaps of time that's better spent on building the Locost!

Seriously tho', I need a 6" long hose connector, for 32mm id hoses. Best I've seen is nearly £9 from Demon Tweeks - no way - time to get the lathe running!

rgds,

David

david walker

posted on 17/9/02 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
You would definitely need flares on oil pipes - oil is a lubricant and at say 60psi you have a much different situation to water hoses.

I have built a number of cars over the years and plumbed many single seaters and have never had a water hose blow off. If you are running with more than a couple of psi in the system you have probably got a different problem! Flares are better but I don't believe an absolute must. Just my opinion.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.