Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: When TWO headlights are never enough!!
karlak

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
When TWO headlights are never enough!!

Have held off as long as I can, but minor rant coming up.

What is it with these thick idiots out on the road that insist on driving with their front Foglights on. This evening I counted more than 10 cars with their front foglights on. I even sat in my car and saw somebody get in his Fiesta start the engine, put the headlights on and then 10 seconds later his Front Fogs come on !!

I can only think they imagine it makes them look cool or perhaps they have never owned a car with Front Fogs. Seems to be a certain type of car as well of a certain age - but I wont elaborate for fear of upsetting anyone

Rant Over,, Thats better

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

blakep82

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
i'd prefer they do that than drive about with main beam on... I don't find front fogs any brighter than dipped beam to look at head on, but as a driver with them, they give a better wider light low down for unlit roads

but i don't have fog lights now anyway...

so is it just me that doesn't have a problem with them? since they're no good in fog anyway, they just light up the fog...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Dingz

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes one of favorits! some times pople just drive on fogs and sides. Its illegal to have low level fogs on unless it is heavy rain, snow or fog. Why aren't they pulled up and instant fine or even issued with a section 59 ticket.

Another thing that annoys me at the moment (its my age!) many cars now have the indicator light right next to the headlight, the headlights are so bright that you can't actually see the indicator flashing!! or is it just me?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

pekwah1

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
As far as i can tell i think they just think they're cool.
As for they are not bright, yes they are! especially when down a dark country lane, and especially when on a 4x4!

It actually really winds me up because there's no need for them to be on, and it does NOT improve visibility in the slightest, i know this because i have them and have tried.

Slimy38

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Yes one of favorits! some times pople just drive on fogs and sides. Its illegal to have low level fogs on unless it is heavy rain, snow or fog. Why aren't they pulled up and instant fine or even issued with a section 59 ticket.

Another thing that annoys me at the moment (its my age!) many cars now have the indicator light right next to the headlight, the headlights are so bright that you can't actually see the indicator flashing!! or is it just me?

Not just next to them, if I remember rightly the current Volkswagens and Peugeots have their indicators INSIDE them!!

As for fog lights, I hate them due to my being a biker at heart, and the fog lights having the wonderful ability to flare up on my visor. When I'm on four wheels, I find them next to useless anyway, and only put the rear on when I can't see the car in front.

blakep82

posted on 22/2/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
well, i think it does, because i had them on my last car, and i tried it lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ReMan

posted on 22/2/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i'd prefer they do that than drive about with main beam on... I don't find front fogs any brighter than dipped beam to look at head on, but as a driver with them, they give a better wider light low down for unlit roads

but i don't have fog lights now anyway...

so is it just me that doesn't have a problem with them? since they're no good in fog anyway, they just light up the fog...

No
If you've headlights as crap as my Saab its the only way you can see the ground!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

snakebelly

posted on 22/2/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
must admit that i use regularly on the rural roads around here, as already said it gives better lighting of the road surface, but agreed around town etc there not necessary and just posing i suspect
Nash

posted on 22/2/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just to play devils advocate (I don't drive with my fog lights on BTW), What is the difference between driving with fog lights on and day time running lights? Which the elf&safety bridge rave about!

Both Bright, but not blinding to on coming traffic!!

Discuss.

.............Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
usually fogs are not adjusted properly - and ARE illegal to use without need.
iv heard a lot of people say - 'theyre not fogs but are driving lights' - errrr no - driving lights are not that low neither can you use driving lights without main beam on as well - your right tho - it winds the hell out of me. thick drivers who dont know what controls are fitted to their own car... TURN THEM OFF.

leon51274

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I completely agree they get right up my nose. My daily drive is a transit which has front fogs and there never on unless its foggy as i know its bloody blinding especially when its raining ! Since the new law on day time running lights it would appear that people have taken advantage of that and seem to think its fine to drive with front fogs on 24/7.
JoelP

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
A car must have really crap headlights if you need fogs to light the road. But, a simple fact is, they arent dipped, if you can see them lighting the road then that tells you how bright they are, and yes, they do dazzle oncoming drivers.

Now i used to have a rover 800, and that had the brightest headlights ive ever seen.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

karlak

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
I completely agree they get right up my nose. My daily drive is a transit which has front fogs and there never on unless its foggy as i know its bloody blinding especially when its raining ! Since the new law on day time running lights it would appear that people have taken advantage of that and seem to think its fine to drive with front fogs on 24/7.

You know what..... I reckon you have hit the nail on the head.

The daytime running light law and envy at others shiney LED lights, have meant every knob out there thinks they look cool with their Fogs on..

If they are using them because it helps them "see further", then they need to either get some new Philips Vision Headlight bulbs or make an appointment down at specsavers

[Edited on 22/2/12 by karlak]

Ninehigh

posted on 22/2/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274

You know what..... I reckon you have hit the nail on the head.

The daytime running light law and envy at others shiney LED lights, have meant every knob out there thinks they look cool with their Fogs on..

If they are using them because it helps them "see further", then they need to either get some new Philips Vision Headlight bulbs or make an appointment down at specsavers

[Edited on 22/2/12 by karlak]

Indeed mine shed zero light from the driver's point of view. I seriously can't see if they're on or off

Stott

posted on 22/2/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mine too are crap, and they have been on every car I've ever had with them on.

What's even more annoying is that I've got a Fabia that will only let you put the rear fog on after you've pulled the switch past the front fog position, so if it's genuinely foggy and you want to warn people without havin the bad-bays on, you can't.

As far a DRL go, fork me I forkin HATE them, bright as hell, especially on DS3s for some reason, and they look chavvy and crap.

There's a 911 I see regularly with DRLs and it looks like a 17 year old is driving it with the fogs on tryin to be cool, also how nice does the Audi convertible look on a boiling hot summers day with the top down, everyone in sunglasses, and it's got it's poxy legal-fogs on.

Lastly and most importantly, DRLs were made compulsory on bikes a few years ago - good idea, they stood out more.

Now they don't stand out so much in the sea of LED lights, genius, utter genius

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 22/2/12 by Stott]

RK

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Being bothered by driving lights is one area someone from my part of the world will never understand. Some things don't cross the pond. I am as flabbergasted by that as I am by the Chris Moyle fan club.
MikeRJ

posted on 23/2/12 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Being bothered by driving lights is one area someone from my part of the world will never understand. Some things don't cross the pond. I am as flabbergasted by that as I am by the Chris Moyle fan club.

Driving lights only switch on with main beam anyway so should never be on when there is oncomming traffic. The problem is with fog lights which illuminate the road directly in front of the car, which is great in fog when headlamps just reflect back and dazzle you, but they do virtually nothing to help night driving on any car I have owned (including my Fiat Coupe which has monumentally poor headlamps) and if the road is at all shiny (e.g. wet) it is dazzling to oncoming cars. No excuse for them to be on if it's not foggy, and even then it has to be properly thick to justify their use. A bit like the people that use them all the time.

skodaman

posted on 23/2/12 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
" Now i used to have a rover 800, and that had the brightest headlights ive ever seen.''
And really good mirrors as well. The only other good thing I can think of about my Rover 800 is that I found seventeen quid in coins under the drivers seat.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
P ?

posted on 23/2/12 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by RK

Driving lights only switch on with main beam anyway so should never be on when there is oncomming traffic. The problem is with fog lights which illuminate the road directly in front of the car, which is great in fog when headlamps just reflect back and dazzle you, but they do virtually nothing to help night driving on any car I have owned (including my Fiat Coupe which has monumentally poor headlamps) and if the road is at all shiny (e.g. wet) it is dazzling to oncoming cars. No excuse for them to be on if it's not foggy, and even then it has to be properly thick to justify their use. A bit like the people that use them all the time.

Used to own a 94 vw corrado vr6, and could only see the rural roads at night with fogs on. As they were not adjustable up/down, that's the only reason I got it threw m.o.t. I was well aware my dipped bean was too high with all the flashing I got from oncoming drivers... Sometimes it maddened me as I knew the problem but nothing I could do about it,so the occasional full beam flash was the best way to explain it

Mark

Dale

posted on 23/2/12 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
I am all for the daytime running lights which are often just the headlights at a dimmer setting than low beam. What really really bothers me is people who do not turn on their lights in the rain ( and it almost always seems to be a white or silver car). I usually drive 4 hours a day on the highway and I would say less than 10 percent turn them on in the rain and you cant even see there car due to the spray coming up behind them.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

rusty nuts

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
One thing that really annoys me is the idiots that have only one headlight working, normally the N/S that think it's OK to use their fog lights rather than fitting a bulb. I've seen the same car with the O/S headlight not working every morning for the last 3 months! IIRC a fine for improper use of foglights can be a much a £1000.

Perhap those that say they can't see should either clean their headlights or get their eyes tested??

[Edited on 23/2/12 by rusty nuts]

Ninehigh

posted on 23/2/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that most times a blow headlight is hard to spot, but how hard is it to get out and walk to the front of the car?

roadrunner

posted on 23/2/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Can I join in please.
Fog lights full stop p@@s me off. If someone heading towards me has them on, they get a late flash of full beam down there throats. If someone comes up to my rear, my rear fogs go on until they p@@s off or they turn them off.
Even when its foggy, I beleive you should turn them off when behind or in front of another car, its only polite like.
P.S. this is post number 2000 for me, and its a moaning one, again.

[Edited on 23/2/12 by roadrunner]

karlak

posted on 23/2/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thank gawd for that.

Seems I am not the only one that is peeved by this then

coyoteboy

posted on 23/2/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes.

Frickin hate people driving around with fog lights on. YES - I too like driving with my fog lights on on unlit roads as it gives a nice wide low view, but it does glare like a pain in the ass especially on wet roads so TURN THEM OFF AS YOU WOULD WITH MAIN BEAM!

What cheeses me off almost as much (while we're at it!) is morons that take >0.5 seconds to switch off their main beam or worse wait until they're JUST in front of you about to got past and then full beam you - like a massive pulse in your peripheral vision - thanks mate! OR WORSE, DAMN I'm on a roll - morons on the motorway/DC who drive along in the opposite direction with full beam on because there's no-one in front of them on their side - as if the central res somehow blocks the main beam blinding they're giving you.

GET A GRIP PEOPLE, USE THEM PROPERLY!

/rant

In my youth I had twin camera flashes built into the rear of my headlights - if you deserved it you got one hell of a strobe. With hind-sight it wasn't that sensible but it was pleasing to see how fast people turned them off.

[Edited on 23/2/12 by coyoteboy]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.