Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What Van to buy ?
T66

posted on 19/3/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
What Van to buy ?

The son has a property maintenance business, so does a bit of joinery,plumbing,kitchen & bathroom fitting etc etc...

Currently using a lwb Transit Connect which has been a real good motor, but he has out grown it.

His thoughts are toward a Transit hi top size van, not a lwb .

Are the French vans to be avoided, likewise the Mercedes Vitos / VW Transporters etc.

Budget is about £6000

Thanks

Simon

posted on 19/3/12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the Renault Trafic quite a lot and love 'em. Comfy, economical etc. Apparently certain reliability issues, but we have a Connect and it does my back in. Rather drive a van thal'll look after my back and slightly less reliable. Syaing that, the egr on the Connect went and it cost £400!

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison

posted on 19/3/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
There all much of a muchness, each will have there fans I have had seroiuse problems with vw transporters & vivaro vans in the past, don't vito's rust badly ?

On a similar budget my new van was to be a fiat/citroen/puegeot I came away with a 2008 swb x coca cola so bright red transit high roof lecy windows air con 38k miles for £5500, so far so good. Purchased last September.

big_l

posted on 19/3/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
vw transporter for me i run a 54 reg lwb its good on diesel and never gets serviced and abused as much as posssible never let me down yet touch wood !!!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

tompat3463

posted on 19/3/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
me too on the transporter.. and Im the same ive totally rapped my transporter the last few month,, has a pack of 500 bricks in it and it didn't even flacker.

with the transporter tho I would advice on the 18tdi.. i've has both and the 18 is a much beefier and stronger engine with alot more grunt than the bigger 2.5.

Alan

bigfoot4616

posted on 19/3/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Syaing that, the egr on the Connect went and it cost £400!

ATB

Simon

EGR failed on my transit as well, very common fault. £100 for a non genuine one and half hour to fit sorted it. in this case genuine ones are certainly no better

T66

posted on 19/3/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Never considered the Renault Trafic, seems to be plenty about within the budget.

And they look really good.

Helpful replies folks, appreciated !

Jon Ison

posted on 19/3/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Never considered the Renault Trafic, seems to be plenty about within the budget.

google Renault traffic gearbox

T66

posted on 19/3/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by T66

google Renault traffic gearbox

Oh dear........

theconrodkid

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
my co runs traffics and connects,the traffics soft bits fall to bits in weeks and the connect,s have engine managment and fuel system problems and are pretty carp to drive.
transits are the best but do like to rust.
best all round is the VW

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

T66

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
my co runs traffics and connects,the traffics soft bits fall to bits in weeks and the connect,s have engine managment and fuel system problems and are pretty carp to drive.
transits are the best but do like to rust.
best all round is the VW

From other chats Ive had , the Vw gets good reviews. My initial caution around french vans seems reasonable.

My mate has an 08 Transit and the paint is so so thin on it, rust is already an issue.

Off for another look around.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same issues, with the only difference that my budget is a lot less than 6K.

I currently have a 190 MK5 Transit, A fantastically reliable device. Previous vans have been earlier Transits, again, all good. The MK5 is everything I need, I've had the 150 (ex-AA), the 100 LWB Hi-top/cube, 100 LWB mid-top and a 100 SWB. The 190 (as with all the others I've had) is now ferrous oxide. It's day of death (MoT) draws near. Incredible just how little of a Transit is needed to keep the wheels apart...

Vans I've looked at have been around the £1K to 3K Mark, for that, you get a near-death vehicle. Owner's won't haggle, so the wrecks I've looked at in the last 6 months are all still 'for sale'. I'll find a serious seller eventually (I hope).
But yes, post MK5 brings all kinds of common-rail troubles, DMF's, electronics and grief.

MK6 Transits seem to like injection pumps at 70-130K, DMF's at the same time. Vivaros seem to shed gearboxes...

So.. what van?

I like the Iveco - have a look at the 6K mark, some very nice MWB vehicles. Good, solid, reliable, comfy.

But for me, a bit too dear dear.

chris mason

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I ran a transit for 4 years, although I never had any major problems it did have a few niggles, I was glad too get rid in the end. Also expect rust on any age of transit, mine was a 57 and several points were rust had appeared, especially in the engine bay and under the floor, probably because they're not wax oiled at all.

Both the connects I had previously were very good and reliable, no faults with either over 100,000 miles.

Now i've got a VW Caddy, best of the lot, 47mpg fully loaded and far nicer too drive.

For 6k I'd go for a transporter, or a transit if you want something newer.

gazza285

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Pug and Citroen vans are much better than the Renault stuff.
Everybody I know with a VW have been disappointed with the reliability and cost of repairs.
Transits are Transits, tend to look rough quickly, but very good mechanically. Let down by the flywheels though on the TDCI ones.
Connects same.
Vito good, but get a metallic, the rust-proofing seems to be better on these.

Given the choice I'd have a Citroen Relay, but I have either a SWB Transit or Astra from work, Astra seats are terrible.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ASH3

posted on 19/3/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I work at a van centre and see all the horrors
Ones to avoid....
Vauxhall Vivaro/traffic serious engine and gearbox issues
Vw Transporters oil coolers splitting,cracked heads
Merc Sprinters engine management issues very thirsty
You can't go wrong with any Transit yes they have the odd
Hicup but are cheap to repair
There is a good Peugot range now worth looking at

austin man

posted on 19/3/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
VW T5 mines a 1.9 04 plate with 190k on the clock. Needs a driveshaft inner cv joint and stub shaft (achilles heal) but taken this on 190k to go. The 2.5 models can suffer waterpump/ overheating issues check the t4/ t5 forums

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.