Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda engine
JAG

posted on 17/9/02 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda engine

I have a 1.6 16v Mazda MX5 engine and 5 speed gearbox in my part built Locost (Stuart Taylor chassis). Has anybody else gone this route?

Anyone else using fuel injection? How have you overcome the concerns about fuel starvation to the high pressure pump? All info welcomed.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Roeland Uitslager

posted on 17/9/02 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I remember reading somewhere on this site somebody following this route.
Why would a fuel injected engine suffer from starvation?

JAG

posted on 17/9/02 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Roeland,

I am told that fuel injected engines have problems because the fuel injection system doesn't contain a reservoir of fuel, not like the float chamber in a carb. During cornering the fuel in the tank moves away from the pump pick-up and the pump runs dry for a second or so. This can cause the engine to cough/hesitate or damage the fuel pump as the pump relies on the fuel for cooling and lubrication.

The fix is to fit some kind of anti-surge tank that holds about 1.5 litres of fuel. The tank is tall and narrow to stop the fuel moving away from the pump pick-up. This is filled by a low pressure pump from the standard fuel tank. This pump is similar to that used on a carb' engined car and the high pressure pump draws it's fuel supply from the anti-surge tank.

This feature is built into modern car fuel tanks but has to be supplied as an extra tank on something like a Se7en. I was hoping someone else may have a less expensive and complex way of overcoming this problem.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Findlay234

posted on 17/9/02 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
please dont take me as an expert but i can see where you are coming from, yes manufactured cars do have ways to combat this problem.

One way very cheaply is to insert a small cylindrical tube in the bottom of the tank. a 1inch tube by whatever lenght would work. its from this small tube that the fuel line is plumbed into. the small cylindrical tube in the tank will act as a surge tank for small periods of time, but thats all you need. By the time youve hit the straight or moved into the next corner the fuel will flow into the pit to keep it full.

as i say this is coming from someone who is not an expert but its the only way i see. someone will disagree with me and probebly come up with a better method.

if you cant visualise what i mean then just message me and ill send yuo a diagram of what i mean.

Findlay234

posted on 17/9/02 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
the tube is welded to the bottom of the tank so its outside, i didnt make that clear. if yu build a tank first you will just have to cut a 1 inch hole to accomodate the top of the tube.
James

posted on 17/9/02 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
What about getting the plastic surge tank from a donor car (for example the pot inside the Sierra tank) and mounting that inside your Locost tank?

Speak to the Plastic Tank Man (aka Locodude on this site) nicely and I'm sure you can come to some sort of arrangenment.

HTH,

James

Roeland Uitslager

posted on 17/9/02 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Pardon my stupidity, I'm more of a Weber carb man my self.
From the posts it seems that building your own tank is the awnser to the problem.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/9/02 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
1.5 litres would be a big surge tank.

My jag xjs had a surge tank about that size - its simply a small tank independent of the main one, mounted below it and joined with pipe.

On my car I have used a 180mm by 50mm blanked off tube welded to the bottom of the tank filled by a big hole in the tank bottom.
The pickup point is about 30mm from the bottom, let into the side to avoid crap pickup.

I recon it should have been bigger - perhaps 1/2 litre or so, but its what I had handy.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.