Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1600 toyota twin cam
redeye

posted on 17/9/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
1600 toyota twin cam

would any one be able to tell me if its possible to fit a toyota twin cam from a 1600 gti f reg corrola

and if so what gearbox would i use

any info would be appreciated

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/9/02 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
take a look on

http://groups.yahoo.com

search for locost

join the aus site.

the aussies almost exclusively use toyota engines - the 4age as i remember...

atb

steve

JAG

posted on 18/9/02 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
RAW Engineering offer this engine and have fitted it to a Stuart Taylor chassis. I spoke to the Ian Grey of Stuart Taylor and he tells me that the footwells of his chassis had to be modified to take the Toyota engine and gearbox.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Findlay234

posted on 18/9/02 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
thats the route im going, im going for the toyota 4age engine as well.

the 4age was a copy by toyota of the ford cosworth BDA racing engine, same in bore, stroke and valve size.

the f reg corolla is FWD what you need is RWD for a kit car. fensport and rawengineering both sell bell housings that fit the 4age engine to a ford type 9 gearbox.

if thats not the way you want, then theyll sell you a RWD box from an Ae86 corolla GT ('83-'87) these were RWD and used the 4age engine anyway. perfect match. the 4age is a luuuverly free revving engine. great for kit cars. please u2u me or email me findlay234@lycos.com ive got some good websites for toyota 1.6 16v 4age engines and the efi they use. ill give you more details if you want.........

johnston

posted on 18/9/02 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
does the fwd version not have stronger main bearings or sumit tho

Findlay234

posted on 19/9/02 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
undeniable, the fwd will be different to the rwd. the fact of it is there wasnt just one type of 4age.
there were 5 variations. from the phase 1, 1983-87 revving to 8000 and giving 122bhp.last was the phase 5 which finished in 1999with over 150bhp.variants differed with valve number, the later two phases had 20 as opposed to 16. crank journals changed and the size of gudgeon pins altered.heck even withing a phase some had map sensors and some had afm.
there was also the 4agze. the super charged variant. f reg is the corolla you want??thats about '88 or '89 isnt it. that would make the engine prbably a phase 2.which was never put into rwd.you can buy all the bits to make it rwd tho.

Dunc

posted on 19/9/02 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Is the RWD gearbox of the GTi the same as the RWD alloy gearbox of the older pre83 rwd 2TB 1600 twin carbs of the corolla, carina and celica's?
Findlay234

posted on 19/9/02 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
i believe the rwd box on the 83-87 corolla was the toyota t50 box, but i cant tell you what the gearbox was for the pre 83 sorry.
Dunc

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have 2 of these gearboxes, I'll check the markings for identification. It does seem very light as does the 2T engines, short too due to the cam in the block.
redeye

posted on 21/9/02 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
looks liket the 1600s out the window now
(owner askin too much)

possible may be able to get a 2.0i twin cam from a c reg celica now though would this be the same engine (4age) and would i still be able to fit it?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.