Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil senders
David Jenkins

posted on 18/9/02 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oil senders

Can anyone tell me the best way of getting an oil pressure sender onto my X-flow block?

I'm making my own instrumentation so I don't care what make the sender is, just so long as it works by varying a resistance and fits onto my engine.

First I need to know the thread for the existing oil pressure switch - anyone know?

cheers,

David

Alan B

posted on 18/9/02 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
David,

Guessing a bit, but I'd say 1/8 BSP

Alan B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/9/02 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had no end of problems trying to figure out what the heck my oil sender thread was, so i could get an adaptor to take a tap off for a pressure sender as well as an oil light.

I bought, from europa spares, i think, a product called :

'le mans motorsport LMA 058 oil guage T piece' 1/4 npt 1/4 npt 1/8 npt.'

My engine is a Ford Cologne 2.9/2.4 and the block is most certainly a 1/4 npt american thread. I suspect that other Fords might also be. Perhaps a look in a halfords parts catalog might see if its similar.

The adapter I have goes into the block, with a similar female bit to take the switch, and in the side is drilled a hole to take the sender. Its a VDO sender, and that was 1/8 npt.

As usual amercan threads are a bit confusing. The actual screwy in bit isnt an 1/8 or quarter at friggin all.

1/4 npt looks about 12mm and 1/8 looks about 6 - 7mm.

The plastic card the adapter is on says :

www.lemansmotorsport.co.uk

If you are looking for an actual electric sender, you can buy em seperate - just search the net for a UK gauges company.

I got mine from detroit www.egauges.com

sort all that out!

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 18/9/02 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I knew there was a good reason for my confusion...

David

paulf

posted on 18/9/02 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David how about buying a sender for a newer ford with an electrical oil pressure guauge, i would think that they are all the same thread and seem to remember them being 1/8 bsp.I am sure you could easily turn up an adaptor to suit or else buy an adaptor bush for pnematic pipework from an enginnering suppliers.
Paul
quote:
I knew there was a good reason for my confusion...

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.