Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: someone must know
pcpro

posted on 18/9/02 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
someone must know

can anyone tell me what the tread is on a pinto 2lt (cortina 1978 ) thermastat housing to block bolts are?
i thought they were metric, but when trying to do uo they are very tight after a few turns and looking at them when out they seem to have the treads flatterned.

paulf

posted on 18/9/02 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think that they are 8mm, and would try running an 8mm tap down them as they are probably full of rust or loctite.
Paul.
quote:
can anyone tell me what the tread is on a pinto 2lt (cortina 1978 ) thermastat housing to block bolts are?
i thought they were metric, but when trying to do uo they are very tight after a few turns and looking at them when out they seem to have the treads flatterned.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/9/02 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful!

There are some metric/imperial combinations which will go on for maybe a turn or two, then seize up.

The ones I've been caught with are

8mm & 5/16"UNF (or UNC?)
10mm & 3/8"UNF (ditto)

Look in the hole - if it's not all clagged up, and all the threads are undamaged, then you should be able to spin a bolt in with your fingers for at least a couple of turns. If you can't do this then either you have the wrong thread, or the threads in the hole need sorting.

Don't force anything - if you're flattening the threads on the bolt then you're probably damaging the threads in the head.

There's always Plan 'B' - go to a scrapyard and get 2 bolts from them. If they fit (as they should) then you have a reference point that you can take to a garage/hardware store, if you need to buy new ones.

good luck!

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.