Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: play in Diff
jacko

posted on 4/6/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
play in Diff

I have just been looking at the info and i think i know what to do can some one tell me if i am right please

Looking at the rear of the diff
If i slacken the castle nut on the right will this allow the left castle nut to be tightend moving the crown wheel to the right and taking the play out between crown wheel and pinion cogg ?
This should reduce the play on the prop pinion ? yes or no

Thankyou for any HELP you can give me
Jacko

[Edited on 4/6/12 by jacko]

[Edited on 4/6/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 4/6/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yep! but not quite that simple, you need to take off the rear cover and measure the backlash, and for that you will need a dial gauge. I think if you do a search there is a post that explains how, and you do need to put some pre-load on the bearings after. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

sebastiaan

posted on 4/6/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Or, alternatively, adjust so that you have almost no detectable backlash on a the diff, put the lid back on, fill with oil and see if the problem goes away. Just be sure to check the backlash at different crownwheel positions as it might vary a bit on a well used diff....

They are not the rocket science some people make them out to be....

Some good info (including the rebuild manual) here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=156096

Oh, and if you want your skin to stay in place, get the thing out of the car. It will make your life a lot easier!

jacko

posted on 4/6/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Or, alternatively, adjust so that you have almost no detectable backlash on a the diff, put the lid back on, fill with oil and see if the problem goes away. Just be sure to check the backlash at different crownwheel positions as it might vary a bit on a well used diff....

They are not the rocket science some people make them out to be....

Some good info (including the rebuild manual) here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=156096

Oh, and if you want your skin to stay in place, get the thing out of the car. It will make your life a lot easier!

Thankyou for the info if it works i may go to the ball [ show ] Newark ]
And i have just fitted this diff yesterday as my other one was grinding like a salt grinder
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 9/6/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All thankyou for all the help
I have had a go at the ajustments today and am very happy how it has gone
The only small amount of play is between the drive shafts and the small cog in the diff (forgot the name of this cog)
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.