Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike exhausts with cat built in?
blakep82

posted on 13/6/12 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
bike exhausts with cat built in?

is there such a thing? do they work with car engines? mine is a vauxhall x20xev, so 2litre, with zx9r carbs, i've got a full 2.5" stainless exhaust system already, but i need to put a cat in, so i might as well shorten the exhaust a bit, as it doesn't fit particularly well round my axle anyway

whats the options? won't put a wanted thread up yet, since i don't have the money just now

doesn't have to be a bike exhaust btw, just they tend to be about the right size and shape

[Edited on 13/6/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Slimy38

posted on 14/6/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251052406854

Although it's shaped to fit the confines of the bike.

I think if you look at any bike manufactured in the last five years or so they'll need to meet Euro IV spec, which will in general need a cat.

How about looking at supermini's, VW Fox or similar? They'll need a cat but will only have a limited amount of space to host one.

[Edited on 14/6/12 by Slimy38]

Peteff

posted on 14/6/12 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Bike engine cats are small, I doubt they would cope with a car engine emissions.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

franky

posted on 14/6/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
You can get a can made with a cat in, bike style that'll bolt on.
JekRankin

posted on 14/6/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
There wasn't much room for both a cat and a silencer on my car, so I bought a cheap re packable silencer and welded a universal cat inside it.

To do this, I opened up the silencer, chopped out a length of the perforated tubing and welded the cat in place. Hopefully should be good enough for IVA.

Link to my original thread:
Link

Jek

blakep82

posted on 14/6/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
my exhaust does at the moment go all the way to the back, but its very close to watts link bars (like 5mm clearance) and the silencer on the exhaust is very small, and been repacked at some point in its life, meaning its been cut open and welded shut, but quite badly. its full of holes.

thinking of doing something like this
Description
Description

saw racing ones at the weekend where the exhaust stopped here.

the big bit in mine is just an empty chamber, no packing or anything, not sure what it really does, but if i could fit a good cat and silencer in there, that would be good. need to get a cat really, then see what space i have left.

cheers for the info Jek, might have a go at making my own silencer... perforated tube, big stainless tube, some stainless discs for the ends, packing, and a 90 degree bend should do it. hope ending under the back is ok for iva...

actually i've got an R1 exhaust I could open up and modify. even if i just use the carbon case and end caps?

[Edited on 14/6/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 14/6/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Did you get '6 pack' and 'battery pack' a bit mixed up?

Mistral Motorsport

blakep82

posted on 14/6/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Did you get '6 pack' and 'battery pack' a bit mixed up?

aw crap, does that mean i drank the battery last night?!
just checking luggage space. and its perfect!

b14wrc

posted on 14/6/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Fiat coupe turbo has the cat in the front silencer. It's a normal sized can too, I might reuse it on my car initially.

20vt powered rear engined locost

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
If your exhaust is 2.5" all the way through, many bike can won't fit, as they tend to be 2". But that's not to say that you couldn't butcher a couple for the cats, but I suspect a bigger car version will suit your needs better.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

b14wrc

posted on 18/6/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
As requested blakep82 photo of Fiat coupe front box with cat built into it. Rubbed down and painted black I reckon it would be ok to start off with.

Loud mind.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.