Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GBS Zetec Plenum Problem
tims31

posted on 13/7/12 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
GBS Zetec Plenum Problem

Not sure if anyone has come across this before, I have the GBS Plenum chamber but when I have fitted the fuel rain at the inlet side it either blocks off the breather from the cam cover of it hits on the supporting strut. If i move it to the other end then if just hits on the support of gets in the way of the injector?

Has anyone else come across this problem?

This is to be fitted to a phase 3 Zetec
[img] GBS Plenum and fuel rail
GBS Plenum and fuel rail
[/img]

GBS Plenum and fuel rail
[/img]

[Edited on 13/7/12 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

AndyW

posted on 14/7/12 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Im using the same Plenum with standard fuel rail. All fits together as it should and does not block the breather.

big_wasa

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
The way the pipe work runs I would guess the top one is a a new Focus lump and Andy's a Mondeo lump ???? solution change the rail. Or just the ends.

have you got the engine in ? I want to test my plenum and ecu so I can put it up for sale

emwmarine

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The way the pipe work runs I would guess the top one is a a new Focus lump and Andy's a Mondeo lump ???? solution change the rail. Or just the ends.

have you got the engine in ? I want to test my plenum and ecu so I can put it up for sale

Are you selling a gbs plenum? What ECU?

[Edited on 14/7/12 by emwmarine]

Building a Dax Rush.

emwmarine

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
Not sure if anyone has come across this before, I have the GBS Plenum chamber but when I have fitted the fuel rain at the inlet side it either blocks off the breather from the cam cover of it hits on the supporting strut. If i move it to the other end then if just hits on the support of gets in the way of the injector?

Has anyone else come across this problem?

This is to be fitted to a phase 3 Zetec
GBS Plenum and fuel rail
[/img]

GBS Plenum and fuel rail
[/img]

[Edited on 13/7/12 by tims31]

It looks like you could cut the breather down 10mm or so the have the outlet pipe with an immediate 90degree bend. It isn't under pressure so wouldn't pop off easily.

Building a Dax Rush.

tims31

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

The fuel rail looks the same as mine but does your feed line look the same as mine too, is it a brass one like mine? Its just that when I mate it up to the fuel rail it is blocking off the breather area. I suppose the other option is to chop it down and have someone braze on another pipe to avoid this breather.

Does anyone else have a different tube on theirs?

Warren, I pick up my chassis next week so I'm just getting the engine ready but it will be a little while before I have the tank and fuel lines installed. Do you still have your stand that we could put my engine in and try it that way? My engine is definitely out of a Mondeo, I have the log book, reg and letter from Fords telling me what it is out of

tims31

posted on 14/7/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine

It looks like you could cut the breather down 10mm or so the have the outlet pipe with an immediate 90degree bend. It isn't under pressure so wouldn't pop off easily.

Yep, I suppose that's an option, just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this problem. When I picked the plenum up my manifold plate was different to the ones that kitspares have and so was my throttle body. They said that the engines theirs are based on are the late model phase 3 and mine seems to be and early model phase 3 as there are a few subtle differences.

AndyW

posted on 14/7/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
My fuel rail does look like yours with the brass end, although on your trumpet section you have the triangle brackets whereas mine does not so that might be the issue. I have my filter on a small hose that is angled to move it away from the injector wiring.

If you want any more pics of my set up just let me know and I will take some and post up.

Regards

Andy

tims31

posted on 14/7/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
My fuel rail does look like yours with the brass end, although on your trumpet section you have the triangle brackets whereas mine does not so that might be the issue. I have my filter on a small hose that is angled to move it away from the injector wiring.

If you want any more pics of my set up just let me know and I will take some and post up.

Regards

Andy

Yep that's the problem then Andy, I moved my pipe through 180 degrees as it wouldn't fit with the triangular support arms on the trumpets and that's when I realised it would then block off the breather. I dont want to cut that support as that would ruin the powder coating finish. Guess I may try and get the supply line cut and a new pipe brazed on to go around the breather.

Quick question through, the silver item at the other end of the fuel rail, is that the pulse damper or fuel regulator and the hose that comes off at the bottom, where does that go? On the original fitting I know it goes to a section on the inlet manifold?

Thanks

[Edited on 14/7/12 by tims31]

big_wasa

posted on 14/7/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
There will be another fitting that will fit in fords parts bin. You dont need the schrader valve.
AndyW

posted on 14/7/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Regards

Andy

Yep that's the problem then Andy, I moved my pipe through 180 degrees as it wouldn't fit with the triangular support arms on the trumpets and that's when I realised it would then block off the breather. I dont want to cut that support as that would ruin the powder coating finish. Guess I may try and get the supply line cut and a new pipe brazed on to go around the breather.

Quick question through, the silver item at the other end of the fuel rail, is that the pulse damper or fuel regulator and the hose that comes off at the bottom, where does that go? On the original fitting I know it goes to a section on the inlet manifold?

Thanks

[Edited on 14/7/12 by tims31]

I think its the pressure reg, got the hose just blanked off and works fine.

scutter

posted on 14/7/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just swap the 2 ends around (being careful with any seals you find).

intake trumpets
intake trumpets

Longer trumpets
Longer trumpets

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 14/7/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That is the reference port on the regulator, it's purpose is to ensure a constant pressure drop across the fuel injectors by reducing the fuel pressure when manifold vacuum is high. When running a plenum this pipe should be connected to a point somewhere after the throttle or to the plenum itself.

When you run individual throttle bodies you generally don't have a stable enough vacuum to use this, so it should be left unconnected (vented to atmosphere). Blanking it off risks the fuel pressure changing as the temperature of the regulator climbs (due to expansion of the air within the regulator).

[Edited on 15/7/12 by MikeRJ]

tims31

posted on 15/7/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Scutter
quote:

That might just work, I did look at that option but wasn't sure if it could be done. Will see it that will fit, Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

That is the reference port on the regulator, it's purpose is to ensure a constant pressure drop across the fuel injectors by reducing the fuel pressure when manifold vacuum is high. When running a plenum this pipe should be connected to a point somewhere after the throttle or to the plenum itself.

When you run individual throttle bodies you generally don't have a stable enough vacuum to use this, so it should be left unconnected (vented to atmosphere). Blanking it off risks the fuel pressure changing as the temperature of the regulator climbs (due to expansion of the air within the regulator).

[Edited on 15/7/12 by MikeRJ]

Mike, The plenum has a tapping on the back of it which GBS said they use for the air temp sensor but I will be using the standard Ford one so I could use that tapping as my reference feed to the regulator. Thanks for your help.

tims31

posted on 20/7/12 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter

intake trumpets
intake trumpets

Longer trumpets
Longer trumpets

ATB Dan.

Hey Dan

I swapped the two ends around but then it blocked off the cam sensor pick-up so still wouldn't fit. Ended up chopping the end off and just getting it welded out straight, it doesn't block off any connection then.

Now having fitted the fuel rail and loom the cable to the TPS is too short to reach. Can I just extend these with some more cable or is there an issue with resistance that the ECU would sense?

Thanks

scutter

posted on 21/7/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
You can just extend the cables, When you set the TPS you'll use the values that the ECU sees at that time which will take into account any changes along the cable.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 21/7/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
extend away it will be fine as long as its a good conection. There will be no messing around with the ecu. the Maf will need extending the most.
tims31

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent, thanks very much all

AndyW

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I extended loads on mine and as Warren says, as long as the connections are good, no problems. runs good!
Wes

posted on 24/2/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what model (Or where i can get hold of) the Brass return pipe that fits in the end of the fuel rail as shown above?

Thanks

[Edited on 24/2/13 by Wes]

Wes

posted on 24/2/13 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone??
tims31

posted on 4/4/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Wes,

You can get a straight out version from GBS which I found out after getting mine cut and brazed. Give them a call they may be able to help.

HTH

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.