Trollyjack

posted on 8/10/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting sump to a crossflow

I'm about to fit the sump to my crossflow

Whats the Best way do I Hylomar it to the block or not
Also I have heard that Burtons do a better gasget do I go for one of these

Thanks

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
The standard cork gasket WILL leak whereas the competition gasket set from Burtons is much better. (I've reused mine twice) A smear of Hylomar will help to hold the gasket in place whilst fitting the sump
Trollyjack

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I've just ordered a sump gasget from Burtons

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul Turner

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
The Burton sump gasket is superb compared to the old cork one, used them on my old motor, never had a leak. But there is a catch, the sump flange must be in virtually perfect condition. If the sump is distorted it will leak with the Burton gasket (it will not compress sufficiently to take up the damage) whereas the Ford cork one will compress easily and while it will still leak it will leak less.
Nickctp

posted on 9/10/12 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yep second the comp gasket from Burtons, the cork one is rubbish!!

A smear of compound is ideal and be sure both surfaces are perfectly clean and smooth. If you are using an old sump, make sure it is nice and flat around the bolt holes (hammer flat if needed) - a bit more compound at the ends does not hurt as it tends to leak more from there. Be sure it doesnt move when you position it to the block.

Be aware not to over tighten the bolts either - a fresh set from Burtons is a good idea for only a small sum.

Good luck!

Marcus

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I'd bother with new bolts. The tightening torque is very low. An M6 bolt will comfortably hold 1/2 a ton in tension, and there's lots of them on a sump. To stretch these at all, you will be seriously damaging the sump!!

BTW as long as your sump is not distorted, a cork gasket is fine.
Mine's been on since 2004 with no leaks (and no new bolts!!)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

David Jenkins

posted on 9/10/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
The low torque for these nuts IS very important - if you over-tighten them you'll distort the mounting flange of the sump and get leaks.

You'll have to check the manual, but I think it was about 5 ft lbs for the first tightening, and 9 ft lbs for the final bit. There's a recommended tightening order too.

Trollyjack

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys
I have had to shorten the sump and made it longer in the base to add more capacity

Description
Description

TrollyJack

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 9/11/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
This is the type of mod we have done for the Locost engines. Remove 40mm and the extension that you have should fitted should bring the capacity back to what it should be. With regard to the Burtons competition sump gasket. We only use these on an engine with a cast ally dry sump as these have a wide smooth flange and never leak. We only use cork gaskets on engines with the original tin sump pan whether wet or dry.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.