Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: reasons not to build a roadrunner SR2
gaz_gaz

posted on 21/1/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
reasons not to build a roadrunner SR2

I only read good things about the company and the car.

The chassis looks fantastic and the styling aswell as the quality of the plastics equally as good.
The kit being based on an mx5 makes is alot easier to source the donor parts for reasonable money.
I've had quote a lot of communication with the chap who owns the place and he is very friendly. Upfront and helpful.

Thinking about assembling something new and the roadrunner is top of the list at the moment.

So what do you guys think? Are there any reasons you know of or things I should be aware of before committing to a roadrunner?

Bare

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
What do you want to DO with it.. when eventually completed?
Track days ? go shopping? Look at it?
Merely as counterpoint the thing WILL cost you ~ same as a used Caterham by the time you can drive it legally .
Perhaps even substantially More :-)
However its' resale will be about 1/2 of the parts bill.

Caterham will likely resale for the price you paid for it.. plus it 'should' be ready to use . Immediately upon payment.
Just my 2 cents worth of alternate reality.

gaz_gaz

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I already have a Caterham CSR 260 and an MNR R1.

I just want too build another car.. keeps me out of trouble and my brain functioning. Might use it for a trackday or 2. Probably nothing more. Not interested in using a seven on the road. Caterham covered 14 road miles from new and I don't even know where the reg plates are.. MNR a little more.

Build cost and depreciation isn't as issue.
I was looking for reasons like, suspension brackets randomly fall off this particular kit. Or. The welding is aweful.
Just examples and I know or I think I know thw roadrunner does not suffer from either of these problems.

Alfa145

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
i can only see reasons to built a RoadRunner. If I was going to build one it would be my first choice.

Can be built from £8k and handles very well. Easy to blow (supercharge or turbo) the Mazda engines or if money is no object they take the LS 5.7 V8s

[Edited on 21/1/13 by Alfa145]

Tazzzzman1

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
I already have a Caterham CSR 260 and an MNR R1.

I just want too build another car.. keeps me out of trouble and my brain functioning. Might use it for a trackday or 2. Probably nothing more. Not interested in using a seven on the road. Caterham covered 14 road miles from new and I don't even know where the reg plates are.. MNR a little more.

Build cost and depreciation isn't as issue.
I was looking for reasons like, suspension brackets randomly fall off this particular kit. Or. The welding is aweful.
Just examples and I know or I think I know thw roadrunner does not suffer from either of these problems.

Hi mate

I own a roadrunner Sr2 which took me 12 months to build to what I think is a very high standard. My car was the one on show at Autosport and also in this months Complete Kit car magazine. Car set me back £8K to build which involved some thinking out of the box, some good deals and some negotiation.
However what I can say is that this has to be one of the best 7 kits around for the money. IMHO the chassis is really well thought out and the kit went together a dream. The support I got from Roadrunner was really good all the way through the build. Especially as I am the 1st to adopt a screen (Westy) and re-used/ made the loom from the MX5 donor (saved £££'s)

If you are worried about resale costs then don't look at Kit cars...
The Sr2 cost me £8K on the road, if I was to sell it now I no doubt would get this back in spades. For me these cars are about the grin factor, and trust me after 1500 trouble free miles I am still grinning...

I took a lot of time looking around and for me this is one of the best value/ quality kits around at the moment. The fact that it has been developed on track by a series of race drivers shows the cars pedigree. A lot of thought has gone into the suspension set up. Handles and drives fantastic both on track and road.
From my experience with this kit you can't go wrong

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/terrybarker01/First20drive20to20RR1_zps34095e95.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/terrybarker01/engineSR2-1_zps9327eb40.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/terrybarker01/IMAG0184_zps380e2e87.jpg

[Edited on 21/1/13 by Tazzzzman1]

gaz_gaz

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
i can only see reasons to built a RoadRunner. If I was going to build one it would be my first choice.

Can be built from £8k and handles very well. Easy to blow (supercharge or turbo) the Mazda engines or if money is no object they take the LS 5.7 V8s

I have no intention of using either of those engines and I have spoken to Mike about altering a chassis to mount the engine and gearbox of choice.

Tazzman

I didn't make it too this years show due to work commitments but I did look at the Roadrunner stand last year and remember a white car? I remember thinking it was probably the best looking car there 7 there and I don't think my opinion has changed on that.

I am aware there has been a fair amount of input into the suspension setup from various people.

It's not really an issue but why are the resale values so low in comparison to a fresh built MNR or MK that seem to fetch way in excess of the build cost of a roadrunner.
It can't all be to do with the engine choice surely?

sdh2903

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi tazzman

Can I ask how these are for space inside? I'm 6ft 4 so size is a big issue for me. I havent been able to get to any shows this year so havent seen one in the flesh yet.

Cheers
Steve

Tazzzzman1

posted on 21/1/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Hi tazzman

Can I ask how these are for space inside? I'm 6ft 4 so size is a big issue for me. I havent been able to get to any shows this year so havent seen one in the flesh yet.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm 5ft 11 and not so slim...and fit in fine. With the seats back as far as they go you should be ok. Best to try one out for size though as we are all different

Tazzzzman1

posted on 21/1/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145

I have no intention of using either of those engines and I have spoken to Mike about altering a chassis to mount the engine and gearbox of choice.

Tazzman

I didn't make it too this years show due to work commitments but I did look at the Roadrunner stand last year and remember a white car? I remember thinking it was probably the best looking car there 7 there and I don't think my opinion has changed on that.

I am aware there has been a fair amount of input into the suspension setup from various people.

It's not really an issue but why are the resale values so low in comparison to a fresh built MNR or MK that seem to fetch way in excess of the build cost of a roadrunner.
It can't all be to do with the engine choice surely?

Hi Gaz,

Not sure where you are getting the re-sale price thing from. I have only seen 2 for sale to date and both went for £9K+ which in my mind is more than most MK's. Not sure about MNR though...
Alot will depend on what engine you go for. The stock MX5 engine which has loads of power is easily upgraded to Super or turbo charge for 200+bhp. They also do the bigger 5.7 litre V8 which will also fit. Guess it depends on the end spec..

ashg

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
i was just about to say the only thing i can see wrong with it is the mazda engine and gearbox. they are fine if you want something that is middle of the road performance wise (dont like the idea of charging engines that weren't made to do it in the first place). i built the exocet with all mazda running gear, it drove fantastically and the engine and box were so sweet it was unreal, it just wasn't fast enough for me, but then i have been spoilt with super super quick cars. im one of those sad people where if it can't scare me every time i drive or ride it then its not fast enough.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

sdh2903

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone built a BEC one yet? Think a zx10/12/14/ version could be tempting provided I would fit

theduck

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i was just about to say the only thing i can see wrong with it is the mazda engine and gearbox. they are fine if you want something that is middle of the road performance wise (dont like the idea of charging engines that weren't made to do it in the first place). i built the exocet with all mazda running gear, it drove fantastically and the engine and box were so sweet it was unreal, it just wasn't fast enough for me, but then i have been spoilt with super super quick cars. im one of those sad people where if it can't scare me every time i drive or ride it then its not fast enough.

The Mazda engines (well the 1.6 at least, possibly the 1.8 as well) are actually designed as boosted engines and run NA in the mx5.

ceebmoj

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg they are fine if you want something that is middle of the road performance wise (dont like the idea of charging engines that weren't made to do it in the first place).

The engine was built to be charged from the off, it is the same engine and internals as the Mazda 323 turbo engine with out the turbo.

chris mason

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I built and tracked one back in 2010, and also had a hand in building the 1st 4 or 5 factory cars.

No real problems, shortest build time of all the kits i've built.
The best quality fiberglass for fit and looks of any of the 7 clones
The bodywork just fits together like a jigsaw, no messing about required.

<<<<<<< This car was the one i built

Mike's a nice guy and i'm sure he'd go out of his way to ensure all his customers were happy.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 22/1/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree mate.

I was really surprised at how well the body fitted on. I was dreading the thought of major fettling, however the body work just slipped on like a glove, no real issues at all. Took no more than 1hr to fit the main body tub and 2 pairs of hand...

Also have to agree that Mike and Co at Roadrunner have been a fantastic support during the build. That's why I have no hesitation in recommending them and the Sr2 to anyone.
As I have stated before, I have driven Westies, Caterhams, Mk's and the Sr2 is the best handling one I have driven to date...Now I have softened the rear springs it also handles the S Yorks potholes really well without taking out my spine...

Piccie of mine:

[Edited on 22/1/13 by Tazzzzman1]

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I had a good chat with Mike at Autosport as I have always been a fan of these. I currently have a 240bhp NA Cossie Westfield, so the Mazda unit isn't going to cut it for me, thus my discussion with him.

So we talked about the F20C (S2000) engine and box going in.

Turns out Mike had already looked at this option and had subcontracted a German company to come up with the dimensions for fitting one. They said it'd take 3 months, 18 months later - Sweet FA!

So we carried on talking and Mike said 'Send me an F20C and gearbox and we'll custom modify the chassis for you...'

Custom modify....sounds bloody expensive!

'...It'll be about £150 extra.' I dunno about you, but I though that was good value!

We then talked about the Mazda Diff and the ratio of the FD is almost perfect for S2000 useage.

So then, the only issue is height. The F20C is quite a tall engine and even fitting a dry sump won't completely eliminate the issue. Mike said that they have already solved this by means of a Dax scoop they can fit on the bonnet.

This won't be a particularly cheap build, I reckon on £16-18k TBH and yes i'd lose a good wedge if I sold it. I don't really care though.

I do plan on visiting the factory in the next few months

Irony

posted on 22/1/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't surprise me they are willing to do a custom engine fit for so little. It will give them a chance to work on the solution whilst being paid for the chassis anyway. After yours every piece of Roadrunner literature will say 'S2000' option available.
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 22/1/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
And that is absolutely fine! If they are willing to offer me support through the build, then what do I care?!

[Edited on 22/1/13 by Rocket_Rabbit]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.