Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hub nut threads, which way round?
andrew-theasby

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hub nut threads, which way round?

Just looked at my hub nuts today and I think I have them the wrong way round, could anyone please confirm which side should have the left hand thread? Ps sierra rear hubs btw. If I've got it wrong is it worth changing or will split pinning or wire locking be ok? It's only vibration that's acting on it, the shafts are splined so nothing can turn. Thanks
adithorp

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Left-hand thread on the left, right-hand on the right.

I'd swap them to the correct side; It isn't just vibration either.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

austin man

posted on 27/2/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the shafts were different lengths so getting the mixed up shouldnt happen the lef hand thread i would think is offside rear

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mark chandler

posted on 27/2/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
The shafts are different lengths, unless you split them and put the wrong outers on you should be fine.

I believe very late ones were right hand thread both sides so nothing to stress about really as they get done up very tightly.

andrew-theasby

posted on 27/2/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm two opposite answers and one saying it doesn't matter unfortunately I can't go by the shafts as these are completely stripped down to bare parts at the mo, but I'm tempted to agree that I don't think it really matters either (read as "less work that way" )
Peteff

posted on 27/2/13 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Near side left hand, off side right hand and the shafts are different lengths so you can put them side by side and compare. Nearside is shorter.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/13 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Quite simple, the wheel on the left mostly turns anti clockwise so it should have the reversed thread, so the natural turning of the wheel wont loosen it.

Mistral Motorsport

jonabonospen

posted on 28/2/13 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Just learnt this in my build this week. Left thread on the left side (when looking from the back of the car - so nearside), and right thread on the right / off side.

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
andrew-theasby

posted on 28/2/13 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I should have had a vote on this, left hand thread on the left is just winning at the mo, which is how i have it, but as for the direction of rotation, why does that matter, the wheel can't slip relative to the shaft, it's splined!
TAZZMAXX

posted on 28/2/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of reading matter on the subject http://www.boltscience.com/pages/failure4.htm
MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Nuts should tighten in the normal direction of rotation of the wheel.
loggyboy

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAZZMAXX
A bit of reading matter on the subject http://www.boltscience.com/pages/failure4.htm

Thats wheel bolts/nuts, not hub nuts?

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
OOO this makes for some interested reading... After googling this subject, it does indeed seem to be a 50/50 split on who thinks left thread on left side or left thread on right side. Whilst the argument I made earlier about the natural movement of the wheel seems to make more sence, the acctual science is alot more complicated. The best/most reliable explanation I can find is here:
http://blog.everydayscientist.com/?p=2655

Mistral Motorsport

wilkingj

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
This is a good reason for only dismantling one shaft at a time!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 28/2/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
This is a good reason for only dismantling one shaft at a time!

As long has they havent been dismantled before and put back wrong!!

Mistral Motorsport

MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
OOO this makes for some interested reading... After googling this subject, it does indeed seem to be a 50/50 split on who thinks left thread on left side or left thread on right side.

There should be no argument at all, left hand thread is for wheels turning anti-clockwise. I drew this picture ages ago to explain this on LCB:

Effectively the problem is an eccentric loading pattern as your link shows, but on a CV joint the load point that moves is between the hub and the flat clamping surface of the nut. Obviously the drawing is grossly exaggerated, but you can see how the clamping load would be greater at one point on the nut as the hub gets loaded by the weight of the car. Since the wheel is rotating, this load point also rotates but at a faster rate than the nut due to the eccentric movement.

This is also why you have to torque up hub nuts to very high values to preload everything.

[Edited on 28/2/13 by MikeRJ]

Peteff

posted on 28/2/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
There should be no argument at all, left hand thread is for wheels turning anti-clockwise.

Correct, it's not really a discussion it's a statement of fact

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Canada EH!

posted on 28/2/13 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Chrysler products in North America had left hand threads on the left side (drivers side over here) and right hand threads on the right or passenger side.
This lasted until the late 60's when garage men (Ford and GM) who were not familiar with this kept breaking the wheel studs with the newly introduced impact guns.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.