Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Avo Shocks
Dan.

posted on 3/12/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Avo Shocks

Hi all,
Ive been working on my part built indy and when I dropped the engine in the front end almost hit the floor, I assumed the previous builder put the shocks on the wrong way round, it would appear I was almost correct. Upon removal of the shocks I found the front had 2 x 175lb springs and the rear had 1x175lb spring and 1 x 325lb spring.

Anyway I plan to get another 325lb spring to put on the front so I have a matching pair, I forgot to write the dimensions down I believe they are 1.9" ID and 9" length can someone confirm please so I can get it ordered.

My setup is a saab B204 Turbo, T5 gearbox and full cage everything else on the car is kept as minimal as possible to save weight, will 325lb springs be about right for my setup?

Cheers guys

unijacko67

posted on 4/12/13 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
You might be better to get it all about done then put it on the scales/corner weights, you will also need to calculate the angle of the shockers as it has a massive effect on spring rates, even with all this info you can really only get a starting point, you may get it right first time, but there's lots going on due to roll centres and all that stuff. Have a look on line for spring rates calculator as I found it a good help. I'm still trying to get it right so I don't believe anyone will be able to say Xlbs for the front and Xlbs for the rear. Also there's anti roll bars if fitted, its all gona make a difference so just a massive balancing act.

Google spring rates calculator and try to find out what each corner weighs, cheers.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dan.

posted on 4/12/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Will look into that, for the spring rates in the future, was hoping I could get some guidance since it's a standard original indy suspension setup at the moment with no anti roll bars. I'd imagine the engine and gearbox setup is not too dissimilar in weight to that if a pinto and type 9.
Jenko

posted on 4/12/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
On my old IRS westfield I had 325 up front and 200lbs rear - The car was around 540kgs, and I was...ahumm..around 105kgs....So, I would suspect the Saab engine install will probably be heavier, but possibly you might be lighter.....As a base line I think 325 will be ok, but also suspect the rears may be a little soft....that said, the only real way to get it right is to corner weight and get it set up by someone who knows what they are doing......My car was done by track developments, who literally transformed the cars handling on track....

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Dan.

posted on 4/12/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I'll give 325 a go as it's in the right ball park anyway, as for me I weigh a whopping 55kg so the back end may not be too much of an issue. Can someone confirm they are 9" long and 1.9" internal diameter, I'm pretty sure but wanted confirmation before I order as I'd like them delivered for when I get home from work next weekend

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.