Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailers....
Dan.

posted on 15/3/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Trailers....

Hi All,
I'm looking for a way to transport my MK Indy Around, it is a CEC with cage etc. Currently my main vehicle is a Fiat Punto, I'd prefer not to have to change this just yet if possible, its towing capacity is 1000KG.

I don't know the weight of the Indy but i'd hazard a guess at less than 650KG it has no luxuries such as heater, wind screen, padded seats etc

Are there any trailers which the indy will fit on that are light enough to be towed by my car? Any links would be appreciated, id prefer to buy 2nd hand as my budget is in the region of £1K.

Option 2 is to buy a bigger car with larger towing capacity, unfortunately I have a new style licence so I'm limited in what I can tow.

scimjim

posted on 15/3/14 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
a Putno is around 1000Kg unladen (c1600 max loaded) - even if you find a trailer that weighs 300ish Kg, with 85PS (the biggest engine) it's going to struggle IMO?
Dan.

posted on 15/3/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is 95PS...and the biggest 131ps, not that is makes much difference, I don't really care if its going to struggle, just want it to be legal, I plan to keep the car for another year or so and i'll upgrade to something bigger and diesel.

[Edited on 15/3/14 by Dan.]

Matt21

posted on 15/3/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
if youre punto weighs 1000kg, the max you can tow is 1000kg or trailer and load, which you will really struggle to get below that.

buy a bigger vehicle
you want one that weighs 1750kg, then you can tow 1750kg too, max train weight of 3500kg

any heavier and you need to do another test for towing a trailer

owelly

posted on 15/3/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a vehicle that weighs 1750kg, then you should only be pulling a max of 80% of that, unless the vehicle specifies a higher value.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 15/3/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you haven't towed before then I wouldn't recommend towing 100 per cent of the towing vehicle weight. You could very easily end up with the tail wagging the dog
rick1962uk

posted on 15/3/14 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
first thing you need to do is to study the new towing laws its almost impossible to get a good trailer thats legal i had to but one then replace new tyres for car tyres with the correct rating you need to read them for your self to make sure you comply but as a quick quide you cant make your own now with out it having a test and its under 750kg but if its has a vin plate thats what your rated (so if you pull an empty trailer that has a rated plate of 1200kg you will get done for over weight despite the fact it weight less than 300kg

i got around this by buying a second have one and fitted tyres that the ratings all add up to the weight your allowed to tow and removed the plate

but its a grey area hence make your own mind up

but as above towing is an art when it goes wrong it realy does and very quick to

adithorp

posted on 15/3/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If you haven't towed before then I wouldn't recommend towing 100 per cent of the towing vehicle weight. You could very easily end up with the tail wagging the dog

...Especially with a tow car as light and short a wheelbase as a Punto.

You'll really struggle up hill (hill starts will cook the clutch) but its downhill and slowing down (even with a braked trailer) I would be worried. If it starts snaking on you then you'll be in serious trouble.

How much towing have you done (and whats your licence date as thats relevant to what you can tow)? I've towed all sorts over the years and my 1200kg 140bhp car with a 700kg braked trailer is borderline at times IMHO.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gremlin1234

posted on 15/3/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
could you take another driving test? to use the current towing allowances?
rick1962uk

posted on 15/3/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
why not make friends with someone with a larger car and let them have a share on track
Matt21

posted on 15/3/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
pm'd you about a great tow car
Andybarbet

posted on 16/3/14 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Buy my saab 95 for £300 - put an mot on it next month, probably another £100 & that'll tow anything !

Plus you can then use the engine as a spare for the kitcar :-)

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

coyoteboy

posted on 16/3/14 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding not being able to make your own trailers, that's going to be hard to enforce... there are thousands of homemade trailers out there, prove it's newly made!

Dan.

posted on 16/3/14 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, I have towed heavy trailers with a lighter car in the past so the towing doesn't really worry me, just want everything legal these days, not worth getting done for something so stupid.
Looks like I'll have to get a cheap temporary tow car and larger trailer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.