Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting repaired fibreglass bonnet
scudderfish

posted on 8/6/14 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Painting repaired fibreglass bonnet

I've never done any car painting before. To get the bonnet to fit my new induction, I had to cut a big hole in the bonnet. I now want to paint the exposed f/g and filler to approximately the same colour as the rest of the car. I'm not after concours, just something that doesn't look pants from 5m away. Where do I start? What do I need?

owelly

posted on 8/6/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
You need a bit more work with the 1200 wet and dry on a block for a start!
Then a good clean with panel wipe (or a tiny bit of thinners on a cloth) and a couple of coats of spray putty (spray high build filler). Then a dusting of black paint and then back to the wet and dry. It'll show up any irregularities. Keep going until all the black has gone and then another couple of coats of the spray putty. Another rub with the wet and dry to make sure there's no ripples, hole, scratches, etc and then a few coats of primer. If you want, you can give it another rub with wet and dry or just go straight to the colour. Put it on in a few coats with a few minutes inbetween.
Post up the results so we can count how many bugs you're managed to catch.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mistron

posted on 8/6/14 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
As the car is metalic, that looks like an ideal candidate for a vinyl stripe!

Work smarter, not harder!

(or put a bulge over it and paint the whole bonnet)

Al

scudderfish

posted on 8/6/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info owelly. I'm going to have a crack at painting it as a vinyl stripe would be too wide to look good and I'm trying to avoid making a bulge. I quite like the idea that my engine is too big to fit in the car If it all goes wrong (and to be honest it can't look a lot worse than it currently does), I'll pay someone to do it properly.

Regards,
Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.