Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser keyboards any good?
v8kid

posted on 8/5/15 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Laser keyboards any good?

Thinking about buying a laser keyboard anyone any experience with them?
I guess they must work but do they always recognize the correct character and are they surface/ambient light sensitive?

Seen a demo and looked cool but was in a darkish environment.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 8/5/15 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Look cool, work well (pretty accurate) even in a fairly bright environment, but a nightmare to touch type. It's similar to trying to type on a touch screen or tablet, there is no feedback to know where and how hard you've pressed. For me the novelty wore off after about ten minutes.
bi22le

posted on 8/5/15 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
jean michel jarre ?!?!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

v8kid

posted on 8/5/15 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, just wanted to know if it was a viable alternative - looks not!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 8/5/15 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends what you are using it for.

Likely an order of magnitude better for typing on than a phone, but nothing like as good as even the most entry spec/price physical keyboard.

Personally I have a full size, buckling spring keyboard at home. Great feel, cracking sound, low level of rsi/fatigue issues!

Daniel

Slimy38

posted on 8/5/15 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Personally I have a full size, buckling spring keyboard at home. Great feel, cracking sound, low level of rsi/fatigue issues!

Daniel

I've often considered a gaming keyboard for very similar characteristics. One of my first keyboards was a full microswitch one which was fantastic to work with but as soon as things switched to USB it stopped working (even with the little adaptor things).

David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/15 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
My son always mocks my old Cherry keyboard every time he sees it. The thing is way over 15 years old, maybe over 20 years, doesn't have a Windows key, and is that off-white/cream colour beloved for PC stuff of that era. But it works, and is really nice to use - I dread the time when it fails, as the equivalent modern Cherry keyboard is over £70.

I don't miss the Windows key as I use it on my Linux machine.

v8kid

posted on 8/5/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Windows key ?

David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Windows key ?

You know - that stupid key with the Windoze symbol on it - the one that does special stuff when using Windoze. My keyboard hasn't got one, and I don't miss it anyway.

james h

posted on 8/5/15 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I built a computer for doing my uni work and writing essays on. I chose a corsair keyboard, and it is just brilliant. It has light up keys which i'm not bothered about, but the best thing is the superb tactile nature of the cherry mx brown keys.

I wouldn't go back to any other style of keyboard now - you just can't beat a good mechanical keyboard! Whenever I use a mac chiclet style it just feels terrible in comparison.

v8kid

posted on 9/5/15 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Windows key ?

You know - that stupid key with the Windoze symbol on it - the one that does special stuff when using Windoze. My keyboard hasn't got one, and I don't miss it anyway.

Feck thats good! I canny stop pressing the blessed thing now. My life is complete.

I must get out more.

Cheers!

james h

posted on 9/5/15 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Press the windows key and an arrow key at the same time, it snaps the window to full or half screen. Windows + 'E' opens files browser.
David Jenkins

posted on 9/5/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Windows key ?

Feck thats good! I canny stop pressing the blessed thing now. My life is complete.

I must get out more.

Cheers!

MikeRJ

posted on 9/5/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Windows key ?

I must get out more.

Cheers!

All the Windows key shortcuts are listed on microsoft.com. Some of them are actually useful!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.