Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch woes - advice appreciated
ianm67

posted on 16/8/15 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch woes - advice appreciated

Hello chaps,
I am in the process of building a Dax Rush. Since DJ Sportscars sold the rights, parts and advice have been hard to come by. I have a Zetec with a type 9 bolted to it. I have fitted a CT133 release bearing to the clutch arm and have fitted a Zetec 1.8 flywheel. The clutch kit that I fitted was supposedly for a MK1 Mondeo 1.6 / 1.8 16V. I have had a bit of a mission finding a suitable clutch cable but finally discovered that the cable for a 2.8 Capri fitted. When I fitted the cable, the clutch arm was approximately half way across the opening in the bell housing. I got in the car, depressed the pedal but it did not return. It appears that the cover may have failed...? I have attached a short video to illustrate...... So, I appreciate that the engine and box are going to have to come out, what I want are some opinions as to what the issue is? Have I used the wrong combination of parts or have I just been unlucky here....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFryILdfdY

Flywheel fitted:

[Edited on 16/8/15 by ianm67]

Clutch cover fitted:

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

johnemms

posted on 16/8/15 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same combination but ended up with clutch slip
(plate-cover-bearing still in the garage going on ebay)
Ended up getting a redrilled flywheel with HD pinto clutch kit from Retro Ford.
Had the lot balanced up - firked around with the clutch pivots - goes very well now.

Pressure plate not fowling on the large bolts is it?

I remember the Mondeo plate only needs a small amount of thrust bearing travel...

[Edited on 16/8/15 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

bob

posted on 16/8/15 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
This may sound a bit like teaching someone to suck eggs but ...... are you sure the clutch plate around the correct way ?
macc man

posted on 16/8/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
When I fitted the same set up I fitted the clutch fork in reverse by mistake. Clutch would not release. I had to separate the box and re fit correct way round. Simple mistake but worked fine when correct way around.
bob

posted on 16/8/15 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ian i've had a real good look at the video you put up, that thrust bearing is a country mile away from even touching the pressure plate.

Does the input shaft actually make it to the spigot bush in the the crank ?

If you put the car in gear and give the car a shove have you got drive, i mean will the engine turn over ?

Such a lot of travel on the clutch fork makes me think the bell house or box might be the problem,is the box standard ?

britishtrident

posted on 16/8/15 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be a V6 type ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 16/8/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Could it be a V6 type ?

Or possibly a diesel type 9? or a diesel /v6 bell housing ? I think the standard type bell housing is approx 7 inches from engine mounting face to gearbox mounting face, the diesel is approx 3/4inch longer

ianm67

posted on 16/8/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Ian i've had a real good look at the video you put up, that thrust bearing is a country mile away from even touching the pressure plate.

Does the input shaft actually make it to the spigot bush in the the crank ?

If you put the car in gear and give the car a shove have you got drive, i mean will the engine turn over ?

Such a lot of travel on the clutch fork makes me think the bell house or box might be the problem,is the box standard ?

Hello Bob,
Thanks for the reply, I haven't tried sticking the car in gear and pushing it, I will do so during the week and report back. The clutch arm didn't have that much travel on it before I put the cable in and depressed the clutch. I was able to get the cable fitted and adjust it up nicely and the clutch arm was positioned pretty in the middle of the hole in the bell housing. I am mystified to say the least. I think that the cover may have failed in some say..... The 'box is a V6 type 9 which has had the input shaft shortened (I've had this done in the past to other boxes without issue)........ Engine out time I think.......

ianm67

posted on 16/8/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Could it be a V6 type ?

Or possibly a diesel type 9? or a diesel /v6 bell housing ? I think the standard type bell housing is approx 7 inches from engine mounting face to gearbox mounting face, the diesel is approx 3/4inch longer

V6 'box with shortened input shaft. Unsure of the heritage of the bellhousing, I shall give this a measure up......

bob

posted on 16/8/15 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it logically you should get drive, but the travel to the pressure plate with the fork and release bearing is troubling.

The bell house could be the big issue 3/4" (19mm) is a lot of travel and could be the key.

I have a 2 litre zetec with 1.8 flywheel early mondeo 220mm clutch kit with cct133 release and no issues.

I did go through a few cables until i got it absolute bang on though, i did not know so many configurations were available

ianm67

posted on 16/8/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Thinking about it logically you should get drive, but the travel to the pressure plate with the fork and release bearing is troubling.

The bell house could be the big issue 3/4" (19mm) is a lot of travel and could be the key.

I have a 2 litre zetec with 1.8 flywheel early mondeo 220mm clutch kit with cct133 release and no issues.

I did go through a few cables until i got it absolute bang on though, i did not know so many configurations were available

Checked the bellhousing, standard pinto unit. Has the part number 71BB7505AC cast into it so that's not the issue....... I don't suppose you have the part number for the clutch kit that you ordered? I have been looking on eBay and there seem to be a number of different clutches available. This one has the same description as the one that I bought but looks very different:

eBay Item

bob

posted on 16/8/15 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ian i have a spare clutch kit in the man cave, I'll pop out in the morning and have a look maybe even take a picture.

as long as its a mk1 mondeo and 220mm thats what people use,binning the release bairing and adding the cct133 capri Mk1 1300 OHV one,some paperwork i've seen reads 1600 OHC.

[Edited on 17/8/15 by bob]

ianm67

posted on 17/8/15 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Ian i have a spare clutch kit in the man cave, I'll pop out in the morning and have a look maybe even take a picture.

as long as its a mk1 mondeo and 220mm thats what people use,binning the release bairing and adding the cct133 capri 1300 OHV one.

Hello Bob,
Many thanks, all help is very gratefully received.....!
All the best,
Ian

bob

posted on 17/8/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
[img] Clutch plate
Clutch plate
[/img]

Valeo plate,flat side against flywheel.

Part number on box.

bob

posted on 17/8/15 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
[img] Clutch and pressure plate
Clutch and pressure plate
[/img]

Pressure plate cover, which does look a little different to yours but i have seen differences before with different makes.

[img] Before bolting under pressure
Before bolting under pressure
[/img]

Gap between pressure plate cover and flywheel before being bolted and torqued down.

bob

posted on 17/8/15 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ian, all i can add is that i purchased early Mk1 mondeo 1.6/1.8 petrol clutch kits 1993 being the key year for 220mm clutches.
ianm67

posted on 17/8/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Ian, all i can add is that i purchased early Mk1 mondeo 1.6/1.8 petrol clutch kits 1993 being the key year for 220mm clutches.

Ah........ That's interesting, the description for the clutch that I bought is:

FORD MONDEO MK1 1.6 + 1.8 16V 94-96 NEW CLUTCH KIT 2 PART PLATE + COVER

Looks like we may have identified the issue.......?

bob

posted on 17/8/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of adverts i have seen especially on ebay often read "not early 1994 model"

I am pretty sure mine originally came from a company called Victoria spares who have an ebay shop.

I have to admit looking back at the pictures my cover does look very different.

[Edited on 17/8/15 by bob]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.