Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Show me your thermostat
rm0rgan

posted on 20/8/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Show me your thermostat

I'm going to drill a couple of 2mm holes in my thermostat tomorrow as part of my Expansion bottle install - can anyone show me where I need to drill the holes as I'm dangerous with power tools!

I have a GBS water rail installed on my Blacktop and this doesn't allow for a bypass to be plumbed in.

Thanks kindly :-)

Sigs are uncool.

fossett

posted on 21/8/15 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

My thermostat sits on its side (Zetec - Retroford Water Rail), and I added a 3mm hole at its topmost point, and a 2mm hole at its bottommost point.

The warm up is nice and steady, no rush cooling, and hopefully the top hole has stopped any air-locking.

Hope this helps.

britishtrident

posted on 21/8/15 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the picture the GBS rail has two threaded bosses under the thermostat all that is needed is a spigot connector to screw into one..

[Edited on 21/8/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rm0rgan

posted on 21/8/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
So, went to drill the Thermostat and found.....no thermostat so this might explain some of my problems as not having one generally drops pressure and consequently the boiling point within the system (although that's what I would like to believe!). With the expansion tank, bleed pipes and return plumbed in I'm hoping this resolves my cooling problems.

I've purchased a new 88 degree theromostat, tested it in boiling water and drilled 3 holes to help warm up (2x2mm and 1x4mm as I read that as being the ideal in another thread). When the rest of my pipework arrives I'll get it all finished and see how it goes.

Thanks to all for the help everyone :-)

Sigs are uncool.

rm0rgan

posted on 24/8/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
So, finally got the expansion tank plumbed in, and thermostat fitted (after drilling).

Nice gradual warm up and then fans kick in about 95 degrees and it drops back to 90...took it for a quick run and it stayed rock steady at 90 degrees. In traffic it climbed to 95 and stayed there with the fan kicking in and out until in free air again and dropped to 90. Stopped and let it idle on the drive for 20 mins and it stayed between 90 and 95 with the fan kicking in and out as normal. And no coolant lost!!

I'll post some pics up of my plumbing when I get chance

Now all I need is for the rain to clear off and I can have some fun!

Sigs are uncool.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.