Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Cambelt help?
ProjectSi

posted on 8/10/15 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Cambelt help?

Hi, recently had a go at doing the cambelt on my Zetec 2.0 before I put the engine in the car. I couldn't for the life of me remove the crank pulley bolt it was that tight. Does anyone know if this bolt is a reverse thread at all and what the torque setting for it is. Also, should this bolt be reused when new belt is on or replaced for a new bolt? After trying for about an hour to get the belt, I just decided to leave it and put it in the car. Would having a mate on the brakes and me undoing it with a bar be enough to crack it off? I don't want to throw all the timing out that's all. Thanks
macc man

posted on 8/10/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you wedge the flywheel with a suitable bar you should be able to undo the bolt. It is a tight bolt and you my need a long bar on it o release it. As I recall it is a right hand thread bolt.
Slater

posted on 8/10/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Its a right hand bolt, I replaced mine with a new one from Ford, very recently. To remove it, I put it in gear and got someone to press the brake hard and used a cheater bar on my ratchet.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Slater

posted on 8/10/15 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Its a right hand bolt, I replaced mine with a new one from Ford, very recently. To remove it, I put it in gear and got someone to press the brake hard and used a cheater bar on my ratchet.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Adamirish

posted on 8/10/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
If worse comes to worst and the engine is in the car, either use the starter motor trick, long bar on the bolt, wedge it against something so the bar can't move and just flick it over on the starter. DONT hold the starter button/key down. Failing that, starter motor out and put a pry bar in the teeth of the flywheel to stop the crank turning.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Brook_lands

posted on 9/10/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
They come out better if the engine is hot. If the engine is not running then heat the bolt with a blow torch. A new bolt should be used and it is then a tighten to a specific torque (which is something quite low) and then tighten a further 90 deg.
rusty nuts

posted on 9/10/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
If worse comes to worst and the engine is in the car, either use the starter motor trick, long bar on the bolt, wedge it against something so the bar can't move and just flick it over on the starter. DONT hold the starter button/key down. Failing that, starter motor out and put a pry bar in the teeth of the flywheel to stop the crank turning.

That's fine on a Zetec as the crank sprocket is keyed to the crank but only try this method if you know for certain that the crank sprocket is keyed , loads of modern engines aren't .

ProjectSi

posted on 9/10/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Okay cheers guys, will try getting a mate with foot on brake first, failing that will try the flywheel trick. Does anyone know the specific torque setting for this bolt?
Adamirish

posted on 9/10/15 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think its something like 40NM + 90 degrees.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.