Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Camshaft cap bearings damaged?
bikecarbfred

posted on 15/11/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Camshaft cap bearings damaged?

I'm doing a re-build and noticed some marks on a few of the cam caps.
Their like little black dots. There smooth if you run your finger over it but if you use the nail you can feel them.

1) Any ideas what these are?
2) I have another spare head: Can you mix and match cam caps?
3) Do cam caps cost as much as £20.00 each?

Cheers lads

theconrodkid

posted on 15/11/15 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
dont mix n match the caps as they will be line bored, they are small pits,dont worry about them .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

bikecarbfred

posted on 15/11/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom half on the head which have alot less surface area are in mint condition. No lines or dots on them.

What you mean line bored because I am putting in new schrick cams in. Does that mean I need to buy new ones anyway?

Paul Turner

posted on 15/11/15 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bikecarbfred
What you mean line bored because I am putting in new schrick cams in. Does that mean I need to buy new ones anyway?

Line bored means the head and caps were bolted together and then bored and honed. That is why the caps have numbers on them and must be re-fitted in the exact location they were removed from.

If you fit them in the wrong location you will almost certainly wreck the cam and head.

If you fit caps from another engine you will almost certainly wreck the cam and head.

Would be very surprised if you could but individual caps new.

If the surfaces in the caps or head (or both) are worn the head is scrap. Its not like old style engines where bearings were pressed in. Methods for fixing the head exist but it would cost more than a replacement head (or engine). We call it progress.

bikecarbfred

posted on 15/11/15 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
So I will use the old caps in the exact same position. That is okay. I am glad there is no lines or that would have been it. Especially having spent hours cleaning the head lol.

Anyway I think I know what you guys mean now when it's line bored.

So it is irrelevant if you use OLD or NEW camshaft as it is all about having a true "circle" between the top cap bearing and the
one on the head where it meets.

Paul Turner

posted on 15/11/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So it is irrelevant if you use OLD or NEW camshaft as it is all about having a true "circle" between the top cap bearing and the
one on the head where it meets.

The size of the new camshaft journals must match those of the original cam exactly. They should be manufactured to match but its always worth checking.

Its not only a true circle, all the "holes" where the cam fits must align exactly.

bikecarbfred

posted on 15/11/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not using new (cam caps) journals . Like you said you can't get them. I've been searching online and could not find new ones.

I am just going to use the original cam caps in their correct order and put a two new camshafts in.

There is no other options now

[Edited on 15/11/15 by bikecarbfred]

Paul Turner

posted on 15/11/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm not using new (cam caps) journals . Like you said you can't get them. I've been searching online and could not find new ones.

I am just going to use the original cam caps in their correct order and put a two new camshafts in.

There is no other options now

[Edited on 15/11/15 by bikecarbfred]

I said nothing about using new cam bearing caps other than "would be very surprised if you could buy individual caps new".

What I said was you should check the size of the bearing journals on the new cams to ensure they match Ford OEM sizes.

bikecarbfred

posted on 15/11/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for that. Noob here. Right I get it!!!

Yes the schrick cams are made for my specific engine (AFH) so they should fit from the box.

perksy

posted on 15/11/15 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
The cap's will be fine, Just make sure they are clean and returned to the same positions where they came from
bikecarbfred

posted on 15/11/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads. Continuing building my 1st engine.
perksy

posted on 15/11/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
ANY queries just ask

Always better to ask than take a chance, bolt it together and it goes bang

Paul Turner

posted on 16/11/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
New camshafts need new followers. Using the old ones could wreck your expensive new cams. Don't forget the oil seals as well.
bikecarbfred

posted on 16/11/15 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. I've bought new followers and will get new oil seals.
bikecarbfred

posted on 18/11/15 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Guys I just bought some crankshaft bearings from VWdirect (5 sets) for £100.00

3 of the sets had scratches on the inside along with a few of, what I can see is small craters. Like chunks missing out. About 4mm long

2 of the sets seems okay. There is one very very small pit mark which you can feel but I guess this will be okay to keep?

I told them on the phone I will keep two of the sets and return three off.
This company supplies only genuine products so we would they come from the manufacture like this?

And is that important. I kind of laughed because the ones that are coming off seem in better nick.

perksy

posted on 18/11/15 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult to advise without photo's, but might they have been seconds ?
bikecarbfred

posted on 18/11/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
There are the pictures:
They are supposed to be new.

2 out of 5 seem okay but even one of them has a small pit mark (one dot) I can just feel it but I told the seller two of 5 were okay.

02GF74

posted on 18/11/15 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Technology for making this type of bearing has been around for over 140 years. I cant believe its manufacturing fault but due to poor handling or storage.

I would get full refund, i would expect them to be spotless, are the oem parts hard to get or very expensivre?

bikecarbfred

posted on 18/11/15 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
These are oem.

But buying them from VW they cost £38.00 per set as apposed to the £20.00 per set I bought.

Do you guys think the third pic is okay? The one with the little dot, You can't fell this with the finger but you can dig it with the nail. Shall Sand it slightly with 1200 grit and polish it off?

[Edited on 18/11/15 by bikecarbfred]

britishtrident

posted on 18/11/15 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
You can use abrasives on the crank but abrasives and soft bearing material don't mix, abrasive particles can become embedded in the surface.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snapper

posted on 19/11/15 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
And use cam lube when you build it back up, should come with the cams
Also look at the cam bedding in instructions

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bikecarbfred

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote

Just learning about journal holes

There's a hole in the main bearing which allows oil to get into the hole of a journal and and because of the groove on the bearings, oil is allowed to circulate around the journal.

Question: Why does oil need to get into the journal it self? Is it for cooling because of the friction of spinning along the bearings?

Theshed

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The hole in the crank main bearings is drilled through to the big end bearings. The oil comes in from the pump through the main bearings and the crank "floats" on that oil. It then goes into the crank and out to the big ends. That explanation is 2 beers down so I hope if it is incomprehensible somebody sober comes along...

By the way. That crank looks in good condition but it is no way clean enough. First rule of an engine build is that you should be able to leave all parts on the kitchen table without the other half complaining. You need to clean out all those drillings on the crank. Cotton buds, pipe cleaners , paraffin , air , your little finger...no not THAT!!

bikecarbfred

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
So that's why those journal holes are drilled at a angle. As they go to the main bearing.
What's best way then to blast any muck out all the way through the journal holes.

I have a cheapy pressure steam cleaner but won't I be making it worse by blasting some dirt into the next big end bearing journal.

Theshed

posted on 22/11/15 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
A paraffin bath/gun and an airline - pipe cleaners or mini bottle brushes - that sort of stuff. Some folks swear by brake cleaner. Sitting needle - bit of string etc etc but do get it clean.

I would avoid the dishwasher - not for the obvious reason - does a great job on heads - but because the salt gets corroding right away.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.