Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Christmas Air filter chuckle
Robsparky99

posted on 15/12/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Christmas Air filter chuckle

If your feeling down and need a little laughter in your life, then have a look at my alternative to a Pipercross sausage filter:

will do for the time being when I attempt to set it up this weekend, fingers crossed.

[Edited on 15/12/15 by Robsparky99]

Nothing

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 15/12/15 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
nice, I made my own cage like that too for my RV8 with Bike Throttle bodies.. it was essentially non blocking as the rolling road proved. As long as you kept a good distance from the top of the trumpets, should be fine in my mind.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 15/12/15 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
A long time ago, I knew a bloke who swore by using old pairs or tights as air filters, stretched over the carb.

His XR2 sounded very rorty as he revved it up in the car park with the bonnet up - right until it inhaled the tights (yep the whole lot) and promptly seized.

I'll never forget his face going from smug satisfaction, to disbelief, then sad realisation....

luke2152

posted on 15/12/15 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
A long time ago, I knew a bloke who swore by using old pairs or tights as air filters, stretched over the carb.

His XR2 sounded very rorty as he revved it up in the car park with the bonnet up - right until it inhaled the tights (yep the whole lot) and promptly seized.

I'll never forget his face going from smug satisfaction, to disbelief, then sad realisation....

Last year I was doing similar with a rag cable tied to the single throttle body just to keep crap out while I was moving it in and out of the workshop. Anyway I gave the throttle a stab and it inhaled half the rag which jammed the throttle half open and I nearly put it into the wall before I killed the ignition...

coyoteboy

posted on 15/12/15 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ran my GT4 for 40K miles with no air filter on it at all. No damage evident in either turbo or bores after stripdown when i finally smashed a ringland through a dodgy timing event!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 16/12/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I ran with no filters for a year.... never had any issues

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

MikeRJ

posted on 16/12/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

But your engine WILL have suffered from additional wear because of this. If you get unlucky with a stone, or errant nut/bolt flicked up from the road it becomes a very expensive mistake.

[Edited on 16/12/15 by MikeRJ]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 16/12/15 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
No more than 20 years of abuse and further year of even more abuse in a kitcar would have already done.

We used to run throttle bodies in tintops for years without issues

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

But your engine WILL have suffered from additional wear because of this. If you get unlucky with a stone, or errant nut/bolt flicked up from the road it becomes a very expensive mistake.

[Edited on 16/12/15 by MikeRJ]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

coyoteboy

posted on 16/12/15 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah to me the risks are fairly low, there will be additional wear from dust but in my view engines are wearing parts and semi disposable, I'm not looking for oem levels of lifespan. In a tin top you have to be quite unlucky to get a rock into your intake. I can't see that being more likely in a kit. The one concern I do have is jamming a throttle but again the likelihood is so tiny I weigh it up like the increased risk of cancer due to eating bacon.

Irony

posted on 16/12/15 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Yeah to me the risks are fairly low, there will be additional wear from dust but in my view engines are wearing parts and semi disposable, I'm not looking for oem levels of lifespan. In a tin top you have to be quite unlucky to get a rock into your intake. I can't see that being more likely in a kit. The one concern I do have is jamming a throttle but again the likelihood is so tiny I weigh it up like the increased risk of cancer due to eating bacon.

yum bacon!

coyoteboy

posted on 16/12/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly

myke pocock

posted on 22/12/15 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Think the fuel pump may struggle with that!!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I ran no air filters on my cortina as it was an old engine however I did regret it after finding myself stuck behind a truck carrying sand or something and me in a great big cloud of dust the bores did have a few big scratches after that I can tell you
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I think it depends how naturally shielded it is in the car. There's no point trying to run filterless if your cold air intake is pointing forwards in the grille. In my cars they've always been nicely tucked back behind several radiators and bulkheads, or up behind protective plastics.

mcerd1

posted on 23/12/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
The risks might be low, but I don't consider my engines disposable items so I always run a filter (with the exception of a few times that I've been working on the carb in the workshop for a few min)

Sausage filters aren't cheap, but decent cone style filters can be
and a DIY airbox could be very cheap (unlike the pipercross rip off ones)

an airbox will let you locate the filter in cold air (without sticking through the bonnet) and also reduce the noise which is useful for IVA's or track day limits.
And if really want to you can tune the size of it to smooth out you power curve (lots of trial and error)

-

stevec33

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Very smart, never seen anything like that before!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.