Author: Subject: Stupid me.
coyoteboy

posted on 9/2/16 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The comment above about helicoil
Do not helicoil a flywheel
Not even one thread
Not now, not ever.

I'd have no problem with helicoiling a flywheel/crank. Helicoils are the thread of choice in many very high-end high load aerospace situations and especially where the base material is softer or the fastener will be assembled or disassembled many times. If selected and fitted correctly it's as safe, if not safer, than fasteners into the parent material.

mark chandler

posted on 9/2/16 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I,d look at going up a bolt size, drill and tap out, nothing unusual in doing that.
Paul Turner

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
Exactly. Brand new cambelt in my newly (as others have said took me a year to get to here) refurbished then fubared engine. I would have thought that it's fine to just switch over.

Not 100% sure but I think I have read some years ago that early Blacktops (Mondeo?) used different length belts to those fitted in the late Focus i.e. the crate engines. Extra idler pulley near the bottom? Worth checking.

mcerd1

posted on 10/2/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I,d look at going up a bolt size, drill and tap out, nothing unusual in doing that.

That's assuming there is enough edge distance left with the bigger bolts (bigger bolts need proportionally bigger edge distances)

And you'll need to pick a suitable thread form (ie if its a fine thread pitch then you'll probably want a fine pitched larger bolt too, the taps can be expensive for these)

Then you'll need to adjust / recalculate the torque setting to get the same clamping force / prevent the bolts loosening

In alot of situations it wouldn't be that critical, but flywheels are not something I would take a risk with.....

-

coyoteboy

posted on 10/2/16 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed - which is why I'd helicoil it and re-use the same fastener type and torque

mcerd1

posted on 10/2/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ but you still need enough 'meat' around the holes to use helicoils

While I'd be happier with them than I would be with oversized bolts in this situation - but ultimately zetec cranks are not that hard to replace or that expensive either so a replacement crank would be my first choice

-

coyoteboy

posted on 10/2/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Of course!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.