Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel tank help
cosxr2i

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
fuel tank help

Hi guys im trying to find some info out on this fuel tank if anyone can help me that would be great, im trying to identify what goes where and what the 2 large holes are ,1 im assuming the centre one is for a fuel sender and im guessing that the end one was probably for a fuel pump ?? but there lays my problem as im assuming the centre spout lower is fuel feed to the engine or pump,breather next to the fuel filler next and a return line into the tank at the centre ,help me if you can thanks guys

ken555

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Big pipe is filler should be on top.

The end hole is sender, but can you see inside to see where the little pipes go ?

[Edited on 9-2-16 by ken555]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosxr2i

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
thank you for your reply ,ahh ok end is sender so what is the middle large hole for ??? unfortunatly i cant see anything inside as its baffled
CosKev3

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Does look like some sort of kit car tank,but there are loads of variables!

The pump fitting looks like some sort of motorbike fuel pump fitting.

The way you've got it sat in the boot is how your fitting it?

As I would say the filler and fuel sender are designed to be facing up by the looks of it,not backwards.

cosxr2i

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
ahhhh i see thank you so i have it mounted the wrong way dohhhh,does that make the pipe next to fuel filler a breather/vent and the other 2 returns of some sort
cosxr2i

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
im still laying it out at the moment but the tank lays back on itself if put with the filler facing up so i used a flat side which was obviously wrong ,il turn it tommorow ,unsure of the fuel pump fitting or anything as it came from a swap meet and the guy new nothing of it
CosKev3

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I would say it's wrong,as lying how it is now you wouldn't get much over half a tank of fuel in it!

Some kit cars rear chassis legs sit on a angle,so that would be why the bottom is not flat.

ken555

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
The picture with the feet in it is the right way up.

Put a little fluid into the tank and see if any of the pipes produce bubbling if blown into.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosxr2i

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
yeah that makes perfect sense excuse my stupidity its been a long day now to track down a sender for it and then blank the fuel pump hole off as im running a o44 pump,any idea on the rest of the pipes/spouts ?? thank you so so much for your help guys ,if you happen to be wondering its in the boot of a 1955 mk1 consul reunning a 2ltr zetec and type9 box
CosKev3

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
You might find the small pipe on the top near the sender hole goes right down to the bottom of the tank and is a pick up pipe,I would say the one facing forwards is the return.

As above,put some liquid in and blow through that top pipe to check if it's a pick up

[Edited on 9/2/16 by CosKev3]

mackei23b

posted on 10/2/16 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
That is a standard Caterham injection tank (Just like the one in my Caterham) though it's had an extra outlet put in the top.

The holes:
- big one in the middle is the top of the tank and it's for the fuel sender.
- big one on the end with the blind riv-nuts is for the fuel pump (Rover based pump for the K series Caterhams)

Link here: http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1484
Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 10/2/16 by mackei23b]

[Edited on 10/2/16 by mackei23b]

cosxr2i

posted on 10/2/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
wow thanks for the replies guys,yeah that does look very much like it , does that mean if i can get a fuel pump for it i wont need to run a seperate swirl pot as i had been planning to
mackei23b

posted on 11/2/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham don't run a swirl pot.

The standard Caterham pump is good for circa 230hp for a 2L, then is a modified pump for the R500

Cheers

Ian

cosxr2i

posted on 11/2/16 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ian i did wonder that seeing as the tank is baffled etc ,what pump do the caterhams use or where can i source one ,ive seen the r500 one but there retailing at £200 +
mackei23b

posted on 11/2/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
It should be a rover pump as it was used for the K-series engine, but I've had no joy in finding a rover pump that looks the same

Cheers

Ian

cosxr2i

posted on 11/2/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
from what i can find out this afternoon it seems to be a rover 220 turbo pump so may have a hunt about for one of those
cosxr2i

posted on 12/2/16 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
just a update on this i did a water test this afternoon and neither of the small pipes are pick up pipes both seem to be returns ,so i think my options are to try and source a fuel pump for this or block off the pump hole and get another pipe welded into the tank as a pick up pipe to run a seperate swirl pot does that makes sense chaps ???
40inches

posted on 12/2/16 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosxr2i
just a update on this i did a water test this afternoon and neither of the small pipes are pick up pipes both seem to be returns ,so i think my options are to try and source a fuel pump for this or block off the pump hole and get another pipe welded into the tank as a pick up pipe to run a seperate swirl pot does that makes sense chaps ???

Use what you have, find a pump that will fit (probably easier said than done!) or the flange mounts on the tank could be redrilled
or an adaptor flange made.

cosxr2i

posted on 12/2/16 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
good idea there 40 inches, the hole for the pump is about 68mm so maybe start looking for in tank pumps that are about that size

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.