Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I want to extend the radiator filler neck
nobrakes

posted on 13/7/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I want to extend the radiator filler neck

As it says.
The cap is a bit awkward to use, if I could raise by 3" it'd be a lot easier to get to.
I've found alloy, brass, mild and stainless steel neck extenders, basically just a filler cap fitting on a longer tube that need to be welded/brazed/soldered to the existing radiator but I've got a plastic header tank with a moulded in cap fitting so unfortunately no good.
What I'd like is an extender that twists on in place of the existing cap. Does such a thing exist?

britishtrident

posted on 13/7/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
You could perhaps fit an inline filler with dumb blank cap into the top radiator hose.

What kind of rad, header tank and engine are running ? a picture says 1000 words.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hizzi

posted on 13/7/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
do you have or could you fit an expansion bottle elswhere and ignore the rad cap?
SteveWalker

posted on 13/7/16 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
How about fitting a flat faced flange to the extender, of a larger diameter than the existing filler; drilling 5 or 6 holes through the flange, with hex-head screws from the underside and the heads, with washers, clamping under the existing filler's edge?
Neville Jones

posted on 14/7/16 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Take an old steel cap, remove the innards, drill a big hole in middle and weld/braze your extention that you've already sourced, to that.
nobrakes

posted on 14/7/16 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Pic below, the cap only has to go up a few inches to around the level of the cross tube behind the side indicator.

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Take an old steel cap, remove the innards, drill a big hole in middle and weld/braze your extention that you've already sourced, to that.

Cheers Neville, that's a good idea. I'll try making one that's cranked over to the offside and about level with the horn bracket so should be dead easy to use.

snowy2

posted on 14/7/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
The hyundai i10 has a remote filler cap that connects to the top rad hose.....bolts to the landing pannel

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.