Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec cylinder honing
neilp1

posted on 4/1/17 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec cylinder honing

I've got a stripped duratec in my garage which I'm going to rebuild, this will be my 1st engine rebuild. My question is should I carry out the cylinder honing myself or take it to a machine shop?
I've watched some youtube videos and it looks straight forward enough. Also if I do hone cylinders myself can anyone recommend a honing tool?

Cheers in advance

snapper

posted on 4/1/17 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Home honing is in reality just deglazing
If your bores are sound with no scoring and your fitting new rings it can be done, I've done this on 2 Pinto builds.
The biggest issue and I can't state this strongly enough is properly cleaning the bores of all the grit and dust afterwards.
To give you an understanding, cleaning out the bores after honing with rags and thinners it all look clean but I could still get a dark stain on my fingers so in a moment of madness I used a clothes lint roller on the dry bores and it came out dark grey, it took half of a complete lint roller per bore to go clear and several hours.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 4/1/17 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
It is so easy to do it yourself. There are several types of glaze busting tools. Most popular seems to be the type with emery stones that are spring loaded a the type like a flue brush with bobbles of emery on the ends. This type is probably the safest for a novice as if you go too low down the bore it wont damage anything when it exits.....Keep it well lubricated with paraffin on cast iron bores and wash down well.....
nick205

posted on 5/1/17 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking overnight...

1. Have you any photos of the bores?
2. Do they need honing? (I know it's good practice, but perhaps it's not always necessary)
3. What would an engine machine shop charge to do the job and what else could/would they check for you?

neilp1

posted on 5/1/17 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
There is a mark at the top of the cylinder shown in photo
Description
Description

Description
Description

The rest of the bores are fine.

Theshed

posted on 5/1/17 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Look for "Flexhone" and watch a you tube video or two. Honing proper is a sizing operation. Hand honing is a surface finishing operation.
Hornet

posted on 6/1/17 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi bud, your not really honing, it's de glazing as stated earlier. You don't want those new rings running without de glazing. I bought my tool from frost worked perfect. I used lots of wd40 and cleaned and cleaned for ages . It took probably 2 goes in each cylinder of about 3 minutes each time. The only issue I had was a couple of times I went too far into the cylinder and caught the lip at the bottom which tends to damage your de glazing tool stone at the end.
andyhaase1

posted on 6/1/17 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I deglazed my duratec bores before i fitted new forged pistons with one of those cheap spring loaded type tools with the 3 stones. To avoid the grit going everywhere, I used grease not oil to lubricate, and also used clean rags to stuff down the bores first covering the crank. As mentioned above, clean out thoroughly after!
Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.