Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA - Handbrake Ratchet and Engine Access
ChrisJ15

posted on 14/1/17 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
IVA - Handbrake Ratchet and Engine Access

Hi,

I'm building a J15 (for what seems like most of my adult life) and I have a couple of IVA questions that I hope someone can help me with.

My handbrake is on the passenger side of the centre tunnel. I'm putting an aluminium box around it but I'm not sure if I need to cover the top or not for IVA reasons?

Additionally there are two vents in the front of the rear clam to feed air around the engine. Do I have to put mesh over these? You would have to be a contortionist and stick your arm in a long way to contact anything hot or moving!

Cheers,
Chris

Slimy38

posted on 14/1/17 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
For both it's more to save sharp edges than actual contact per se. I don't remember anything in the manual about being able to touch anything hot, as long as it's not sharp.
SteveWallace

posted on 14/1/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hot is not a problem otherwise all side mounted exhausts would fail. As mentioned, edge radius would need to be looked at though.
nickm

posted on 16/1/17 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

Glad your nearly there !

I have left the side "scoops" uncut for IVA but will cut out after for cold air feed to inlet on drivers side and a possible blow thru from the passenger side to assist my hot air exit holes on the exhaust headers and cat.
I bought some cold air feed inlets for this but do some careful measuring as the fibreglass area for the scoop is a lot higher than wide.
The handbrake i have boxed in with ali and a bit of trim for the sharp edge.

Im nearly there as well

gremlin1234

posted on 16/1/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Additionally there are two vents in the front of the rear clam to feed air around the engine. Do I have to put mesh over these? You would have to be a contortionist and stick your arm in a long way to contact anything hot or moving!
you may want mesh to stop stones etc from getting in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.