Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using a 20XE ecu instead of a c20xe ecu
mcg

posted on 15/4/17 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Using a 20XE ecu instead of a c20xe ecu

I am probably barking right up the wrong tree here so any thoughts / corrections would be welcome!!

I currently have a c20xe running original injection with the exception of power cap. (I am assuming it is a c20xe as has a lambda sensor??) I plan to keep this general setup for now and will consider bike carbs etc in future once IVA has been passed...for now i am doing some locost tinkering!!)

I have been thinking about trying one of the 'super chips' or 'turbonoz' to see if it makes any difference....however I was thinking of trying on a spare ecu....I have seen a
20xe ecu and thought about trying with that...so here are my questions:

1. If I run the 20XE ecu will it work? Assuming it will just not use the lambda sensor? What will be the effect?
2. If I do use this / the original ecu, are these chips worth the bother?

http://www.turbonoz.co.uk/vauxhall-opel-chips/TNTCHP00116.html

Any thoughts would be great!!!

Cheers
Matt

obfripper

posted on 15/4/17 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
What's you're original ecu - motronic 2.5 or 2.8?
A 20xe ecu is also motronic 2.5 and completely compatible (if this is your current ecu, earthing pin 20 it will disable the lambda sensor and hand mixture control to the pot on the airflow meter and effectively make it a 20xe ecu), a later motronic 2.8 uses a vr sensor for the camshaft which is incompatible with a 20xe ecu, the biggest giveaway to this is a coilpack instead of a dizzy.

Dave

mcg

posted on 15/4/17 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Great- it definitely has a dizzy. Am I right in saying the 20XE had slightly higher power as it was slightly less restricted as didn't have same emissions requirements? (Or was that because of the addition of a CAT?)

With that in mind, would it be best to try chipping the 20XE ecu or the c20xe one?

Really appreciate the inputs.

Matt

obfripper

posted on 16/4/17 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
The majority of the power difference on c20xe's is due to having a catalyst fitted, the rest is from the different ron plug maps.

You may well have a plug marked A|B on opposite sides, A is 220ohm and 95 octane , B is 470ohm and 98 octane.
These change the default spark map, the map is also affected by the knock sensor feedback so using B and 95 fuel will cause the engine to pink then loose power and is not advised.

There are quite a few other options,this list is for 8v engines but iirc the 16v xe has the same options, i haven't got a copy of vauxhall tis to check.

This is borrowed from: http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/ron_plugs/ron_plugs.htm

1 = Basic value.
2 = Idle speed increase by 100rpm.
3 = +5% fuel acceleration enrichment.
4 = +5% fuel enrichment throughout range.
5 = Ignition retarded by 5deg throughout rev/load range.

2.0SE/ SER/ SEH non cat Resistance Value:
91 Ron
N/A
95 Ron
220 ohms = 1
1200 ohms = 3/4
2200 ohms = 2
4700 ohms = 2/3/4
infinity ohms = 2/3/4/5
98 Ron
470 ohms = 1
750 ohms = 2

Special thanks go to Calibra2000 mailing list for the help and advice on the construction of this article.

There is a few options here for adjusting the timing and fueling with 95 octane, i'm sure there are also the same options for 98 octane, but i don't know what they may be.

As an aside, there is an earlier (87-89) 20xe motronic 4.1 ecu as well, i don't know if it shares the wiring with the motronic 2.5, but it doesn't have knock sensors but can have lambda sensors. Some further investigation may be required, vauxhall tis is your friend for this.

Dave

mcg

posted on 16/4/17 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Great,- thanks a lot for the info. Car already has a 98ron plug. It's good to understand the effect of the plugs on timing and detonation issues. would it be fair to say that it sounds like the risk vs benefit of chipping may not be worth it?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.