Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 oil leak
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/4/17 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
ST170 oil leak

I have finally got my ST to fire and just about idle (need to calibrate temp sensors and check timing offset etc etc) but in the 15 minutes I have had it ticking over it has leaked a fair amount of oil. It is dripping out the bottom of the bellhousing. Tried a torch/mirror etc but no joy.

Initial thoughts are that the CVH sump is leaking, but a lot of care was taken to get the gasket seated correctly.
Or possibly the crank rear seal, but again that was new, and correct procedure.

However, just read a comment on another place (FB) with somebody having identical issues. And it has been mentioned that oil can run uo the flywheel bolts. This doesn't sound right to me, it would mean the flywheel bolt drillings are connected to the crank oilways. Can anybody confirm??

My plan was to try taking the sump off in situ, check for leakage signs and then add some sealer to the gasket faces. See if that works.
The next step was to remove the gearbox , not sure if I can get it out with the engine still in the car (spitfire), but hopeful. Then thinking run the engine without box and see what happens.

But if the flywheel bolts are potentially the cause, I may skip the sump removal stage and just pull the gearbox.

Pointers/info would be great!
Cheers
Clive

big_wasa

posted on 27/4/17 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the drillings in the crank go all the way through, the holes are not blind. They get splashed but don't run in oil.

Providing you used a little thread lock or new bolts it won't be these.

My money is on the cvh sump. Did you drill the bearing carrier for the two extra bolts and have you used the spreader plates ?

[Edited on 27/4/17 by big_wasa]

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/4/17 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, spreader plates there and extra bolts fitted.
I spent ages getting the front of the sump correct (unlike the advice to just knock a dent to clear the oil pump) and got the curve spot on. However, I can't remember if I re-checked the rear.
Think I will see if the box will come out so I can have a proper look.....

Thanks for confirmation re the crank drillings.

big_wasa

posted on 28/4/17 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yep so if you take the fly off and tip the engine ie on a hoist it will spill out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.