Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: grease clutch cable
givemethebighammer

posted on 8/1/05 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
grease clutch cable

My clutch feels very stiff to operate. I can only put it down to the acute loop the cable takes from the floor mounted pedal to the type nine box. The cable is of the type with an eyelet on one end (pedal) and "ferule" (normal type nine end) on the other. I think forcing some grease down the cable would help matters. I think I could do this by connecting a tube (caulking gun type) of grease to the cable end with some hose and hose clips.

Question is what type of grease to use , or is this a bad idea ?

thanks

Mix

posted on 8/1/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
If the inner cable has a plastic sheath then it probably would be a bad idea to lube it.
If I had to I would use a silicone based lubricant. We use an oily liquid called 'Hellerine' to aid the assembly of sleeves onto cable looms, that may work.
I'm in need of a similar clutch cable, what vehicle did it come from?

Mick

theconrodkid

posted on 8/1/05 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
either make the curve a bit gentler or use fairy liquid on the cable for lube

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/1/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Question is did you replace the clutch, if not then it is likely to be the clutch cover gone stiff. If you replaced was it a new item or reconditioned. If reconditioned the it is likely to be faulty. If none of the above then I suggest as a first move that you find a less torturous route for your cable. The last thing that you want to be putting down a new cable is grease or lubricant.

Enjoy. 14 days to go.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

bob

posted on 8/1/05 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I used a cortina MK4 cable with threaded adjuster gearbox end,i have the floor mounted pedals and at 1st had the same problem.
However after a few hundred miles it seems to have eased up a bit making it easier to operate all round.

As JJG said re old clutch,i think this may have been my problem as i only replaces the clutch plate (tight git) if it doesnt improve more over the next coupelof months i think i'll have it out and change it for a new 3 part set.

[Edited on 8/1/05 by bob]

britishtrident

posted on 8/1/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Often this can be due to poor alignment of the outer cable at the the pedal end

[Edited on 8/1/05 by britishtrident]

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/1/05 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

the clutch, cover and release bearing were all new. It will almost certainly be the loop in the cable causing the stiffness. problem is I have no other way of routing it. I'll take another look later. Rescued attachment cable.JPG
Rescued attachment cable.JPG

bob

posted on 8/1/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
There is a longer cable you can use which should make a larger arc,i think it is cortina P100 or early sierra P100 pickup the ones without the automatic adjuster on the pedal.

I also have a cable from an 85 transit i may try as that is a touch longer in overall length too.

givemethebighammer

posted on 9/1/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
stupid question, but how do you get the fairy liquid into the cable. I'd guess just take one end off and dribble it in ?
Mix

posted on 10/1/05 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Try asking a motorcyclist, a cable oiler used to be quite a common tool before the advent of lined cables.

Mick

givemethebighammer

posted on 10/1/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of those cable oilers from my biking days somewhere (could do with a good clean no doubt).

Mind you I've had another idea... I use a dry teflon based lube (goes on wet then dries obviously)on my mountaion bike chain (doesn't attract and hold the dirt).

Finish Line Teflon-Plus Dry lube

Description:

Finish Line's best selling lubricant designed for high torque pedaling conditions ranging from dry deserts to cold stream crossings. Dry style formula from synthetic base oils, Teflon(R), extreme pressure additives, rust and oxidation inhibitors and a biodegradable penetrant. Used as both a stand alone lubricant or as a base coat for the Cross Country Lubricant. 2 oz. squeeze bottle fits easily into any bicycle maintenance kit.

Believe me that stuff my chain has to go through (pressure and dirt wise) far exceeds anything the clutch cable is likely to endure.
The stuff penetrates as well so should work it's way along the cable.
Think I may give it a try.

Incidently called tiger about this today they use gear oil and say it works OK (just smells really bad !!) Rescued attachment product_86273.jpg
Rescued attachment product_86273.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.