Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Z20LET fuel pump and swirl pot
andywilson

posted on 3/8/17 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Z20LET fuel pump and swirl pot

Hello everyone!

I'm on with installing a Z20LET into my 7. I'm pretty much finished with it now really, I just have a couple of questions about my fuel system.

At the moment, I'm running a cheapo ebay low pressure pump to fill my swirl pot. As it stands, this is running (knocking/banging) constantly and is quite annoying, even over the exhaust.
Is this because its a cheap pump, or should the outlet side of the pump have some resistance? or have I missed something obvious?

My high pressure pump was a cheapo ebay one (I had it spare so used it to put me on) which has now packed in.
What pump would be good for my set-up?
It's a standard Z20LETwhich I estimate to be running around 270bhp once it's been mapped.

Thanks,
Andy

andywilson

posted on 3/8/17 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
My system is plumbed as per this diagram:

The only significant difference I've just noticed is my low pressure pump is mounted very slightly higher than the fuel tank - is this likely to make a difference?

Thanks,
Andy

madteg

posted on 3/8/17 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Think you should have a 0.75 mig tip in the return to tank, on the low pressure side. This will slow pump down and when on full chat it will feed the swirl pot a lot more.
Smoking Frog

posted on 3/8/17 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
What orientation is the LP pump. My first lifter pump didn't last long (mounted horizontally) above tank, the second one had fixings instructions to mount vertically with the outlet to the top. I also positioned it below the tank outlet on rubber mountings. Added a small glass in-line filter on the return between the swirl pot and tank, this was mostly to see if LP pump was functioning correctly, but it would have added a small amount of resistance to the flow. Can't say the pump is quite but it's just a steady purr which can't be heard once the engine is running.

The HP pump I'm running is a Bosch 044 but with only 100bhp. I think this would also be good for 270bhp but can't say for sure.

[Edited on 3/8/17 by Smoking Frog]

andywilson

posted on 8/8/17 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is mounted horizontally above the tank.
I also have an inline glass filter and I seem to be getting some air in the fuel line.

I will replace for a decent quality pump, mounted below the tank on rubber mounts - in whichever orientation the manufacturer recommends... I didn't realise it made a difference.

I'm trying to get the car ready for a rolling road session and I don't want to be let down on the day by something as inexpensive as this.

I've read a few people using the Bosch 044 on similar set ups so I think they're a safe bet.

Thanks for your help,
Andy

quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
What orientation is the LP pump. My first lifter pump didn't last long (mounted horizontally) above tank, the second one had fixings instructions to mount vertically with the outlet to the top. I also positioned it below the tank outlet on rubber mountings. Added a small glass in-line filter on the return between the swirl pot and tank, this was mostly to see if LP pump was functioning correctly, but it would have added a small amount of resistance to the flow. Can't say the pump is quite but it's just a steady purr which can't be heard once the engine is running.

The HP pump I'm running is a Bosch 044 but with only 100bhp. I think this would also be good for 270bhp but can't say for sure.

[Edited on 3/8/17 by Smoking Frog]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.