Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ignition timing
chris

posted on 6/8/17 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
ignition timing

having had the car rolling roaded and the results were very poor i thought i would check the static timing so i have put the engine to tdc put a mark on the crank pulley and a tdc mark on the block and 10 20 30 btc degree marks on the block got the engine running at tickover and the pulley mark lines up with the block tdc mark when i rev the engine it does advance but i dont seem to be able to change the static timing does anyone know how to do it on the megasquirt i am trying to get it to run at 10dg btc
britishtrident

posted on 6/8/17 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just start the advance curve with 5 degrees at few hundred rpm rising to 13 degrees or so at normal idle ---- static advance isn't required it just makes engines harder to start because they want to kick backwards against the starter.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chris

posted on 6/8/17 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
sorry didnt explain it right
when the engine is idling the tdc mark on the pulley and the tdc mark on the block line up with strobe light wot i am asking is when the engine is idling shouldnt the strobe lite be showing 10dg btc if so how do i change it ignition table shows it should be at 10dg btc but strobe says different i am using coil on plug fully sequential so got a ignition lead from coil to plug to attach strobe

[Edited on 6/8/17 by chris]

r1_pete

posted on 6/8/17 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to change it in the ignition table.

If you cannot, check the rpm bins cover your idle speed, i.e. If you're idling at 750 ensure you have rpm bins starting at 500, 750, 1000 and on up.

Also have you got the trigger wheel setting and position correct, e.g you could have the missing tooth passing at 80 degs btdc, and the software expecting 90, which would produce what you are seeing.

[Edited on 6/8/17 by r1_pete]

[Edited on 6/8/17 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris

posted on 6/8/17 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
ok pete ignition table shows 10dg btc at 900 rpm but at 900rpm strobe shows it is at tdc been a while since i used a strobe so either my tdc mark is out or something else is out
luke2152

posted on 6/8/17 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Its in ignition options/wheel decoder menu

Where is says fixed advance choose fixed timing. Underneath that set your chosen fixed timing advance (ie. where the timing mark is on your engine).

Run the engine and check with a timing light that it is on the angle you set. If it's out you can either move the crank/cam postition sensor to bring it back in line if it has adjustment. Or set the Number 1 tooth angle on tunerstudio to do the same.

Make sure you turn fixed advance off when you finish otherwise you'll be driving round at 12 degrees advance or whatever.

chris

posted on 6/8/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote

is it because the trigger offset angle is at zero

[Edited on 6/8/17 by chris]

SPYDER

posted on 6/8/17 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Trigger angle for Zetec VCT is 0 degrees according to the manual.
theduck

posted on 7/8/17 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Back to basics

Change Fixed advance to Fixed timing advance, start the car and check timing. If it still idles at TDC, the problem is the trigger offset, adjust until the car idles at your fixed advance setting.

Change Fixed advance back to use table and check it now idles at what tuner studio says it should be at.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.