Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat FIRE rwd gearbox?
accutherm

posted on 12/8/17 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Fiat FIRE rwd gearbox?

Hi, does anyone know of a rwd gearbox that will go on the fiat engine without too much hassle?

I am putting a 1.2 8v fire engine in my reliant kitten, the original plan was to use the standard gearbox (like the mc750 guys) but im starting to worry about longevity and seen as i intend to use the car regularly a 5th gear can't hurt.

Cheers for any advice

[Edited on 12/8/17 by accutherm]

motivforz

posted on 12/8/17 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
There's a polish kit car in development that uses the fire engine as a transverse mid engine. It uses the standard 5spd gearbox as you find in seicentos and Punto's. I've had a Punto in the family from new and it's on 140k, and 2nd synchro is going but apart from that it's fine so I wouldn't worry too much about longevity unless you're massively tuning for power.
accutherm

posted on 12/8/17 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ah sorry i meant the standard reliant gearbox. They have been known to be unreliable with the standard engine and the 1.2 fiat has 50% more hp.
theconrodkid

posted on 12/8/17 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure the fiat 124 / lada riva box will fit straight on, dont think they are on every street corner tho.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rachaeljf

posted on 12/8/17 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
FIRE engines are not the same bellhousing pattern as either the Lampredi dohc or sohc engine families. I know of no north-south applications of the FIRE engines. I would say you need an adapter plate and a gearbox of your choice.
accutherm

posted on 12/8/17 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can get a adapter plate made, id need one for the reliant gearbox anyway. My problem is more with the clutch assembly. With the reliant gearbox i know what bits id need but for another gearbox im completely clueless .

Im not going to be pushing any more then 80hp or so so the gearbox doesn't exactly have to be sturdy.

Dopdog

posted on 12/8/17 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
You need to look at the regs for the 750 Formula as this is the engine they use and i think it specifies the gearbox you can use.
scimjim

posted on 12/8/17 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
It might be worth looking at the Liege rally cars - I think they swap out the Reliant box for a Suzuki Jimny 5 speed box? Doesn't help with your query directly as you'll still need an adaptor plate but may be the smallest/lightest/cheapest rwd box that will take the extra power and you know it'll fit in the chassis?

[Edited on 12/8/17 by scimjim]

[Edited on 12/8/17 by scimjim]

accutherm

posted on 12/8/17 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers ill look into the jimny box. Id never considered them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.