Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Moving house during a build
Slimy38

posted on 21/9/19 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Moving house during a build

I have the traditional locost builder garage that is full of car bits that seem to take up far more space than the car that they came from. Including a full Healey body kit and most of a chassis. And for some reason we want to look at moving house...

Now, I hate the idea of moving out of, and in to, a house on the same day. I'd prefer to put a whole load of stuff into storage, leaving just a van or two's worth of stuff to move on the actual day. Of course, that's not going to happen with the garage stuff, mainly because it's not exactly storable stuff, and I reckon it would take a day just to shift it on it's own. Worst still, if we have to rent as a stop gap, the chances of having a suitable garage available is almost zero.

Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so what did you do?

big_wasa

posted on 22/9/19 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
My work had secure parking and a container I made some space in.

I bought a trailer from some one on here. I piled it high including the Lathe and roll-cab and moved my garage a few weeks before.

It was a very long day just moving the house. And we needed the garage space to pack the house. We had the new owners trying to move in as we where moving out. There is no way I could have done the garage that day as well.

Daf

posted on 22/9/19 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I did it, I hired a 40 foot shipping container at a local storage place for 100 odd quid a month. Carefully moved all my garage stuff a month before, when we'd moved I set up my garage and moved my garage stuff back in. 200 quid on a container was a drop in the ocean when you consider how much moneyOving costs!
Andybarbet

posted on 22/9/19 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I rented a council garage & moved all my garage stuff a few weeks before. £60 per month but took the pressure off for sure.

I only moved a mile away from my old house & as luck would have it the garage I was allocated was half way between both houses.

It also allowed me some time when I got the keys to the new house to jetwash out the old garage. I then painted the walls & floor before I started moving my stuff into the garage in the new house.

I certainly recommend doing something in advance, it's hard enough moving house let alone a part built kit & garage stuff.

Good luck.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Slimy38

posted on 22/9/19 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like I'm on the right track to do it prior to the actual move, it's good to hear I'm not being overly cautious!

Good to see there's options to storage though, I didn't realise you could get actual container storage. Now I know they exist I've found one quite local, and it would be a much better option for things like the engine etc.

A council garage would certainly be a good possibility, although just knowing the local area I wouldn't expect any decent ones to be available, or any available ones to be somewhere I'd want to keep stuff. I'll ask though.

big_wasa

posted on 22/9/19 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Storage units are popping up all over the place with houses getting smaller. People are even using them as workshops.
sebastiaan

posted on 23/9/19 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Same here, moved the garage ahead of time, with just the project (rolling shell at that point) on the actual day of the move which was only 5 miles or so. I did manage to pack a *lot* of stuff into said shell though.... Stood for a year after the move before I could get going on it again, so it is probably wise to make some kind of storage plan.
Slimy38

posted on 23/9/19 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Same here, moved the garage ahead of time, with just the project (rolling shell at that point) on the actual day of the move which was only 5 miles or so. I did manage to pack a *lot* of stuff into said shell though.... Stood for a year after the move before I could get going on it again, so it is probably wise to make some kind of storage plan.

Now you've got me thinking... I do have enough parts and I'm far enough in the build to make it a rolling chassis with bodywork, I could actually get it to the point where it could go on a flat bed and be transported on the day. That would just be a single job which would be manageable as part of the moving day.

I'd still want to put the rest of the garage into storage but at least then that's just boxes and other more 'storable' stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion.

sebastiaan

posted on 24/9/19 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to be of help. Good luck with the move!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.