Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Cat Test
mark.silcock

posted on 9/3/20 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Cat Test

Quick question,

If the car has a cat installed will it be tested based on cat values regardless of engine age?

Mine is running an RS1800 that is cat exempt but the twin 45s are proving difficult to get under the emissions, can I put a cat on to improve the emissions or will that make it even harder to pass?

gremlin1234

posted on 9/3/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
if they cannot pass the non cat test, then they would probably poison any cat installed
theconrodkid

posted on 9/3/20 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
as above, carbs like that are a bit like a bucket with a hole in the bottom, they were never designed to meet strict emmisions regs, better off with bike carbs or injection

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 9/3/20 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
A rolling road session with someone that understands Weber’s would probably be a good move ?
mark.silcock

posted on 10/3/20 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I realise that carbs and cats aren't supposed to work together, and it is only a temporary measure to get through the IVA.

The question was will it get tested on the lower emission rates because it might have a cat on it or will it always get tested based on the age of the engine.

Another way of looking at it, if it didnt have carbs but fuel injection and a cat installed but the engine was manufactured prior to July 1992 does it still get tested to the 3.5% 1200ppm limits?

mark.silcock

posted on 10/3/20 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
A rolling road session with someone that understands Weber’s would probably be a good move ?

Yes wondered if they let you tune it while being tested if its over the limits?

sdh2903

posted on 10/3/20 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.silcock
quote:

Yes wondered if they let you tune it while being tested if its over the limits?

That would very much be dependant on the tester. At my first Iva with a carbed R1 the tester allowed me to make a quick tweak as it was very borderline. But he wouldn't have allowed me to keep messing for any length of time.

I wouldn't go into Iva knowing you have an issue. If it's an exempt engine it should pass on Webers. It just needs setting up correctly.

pekwah1

posted on 10/3/20 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your question - the IVA emissions test is purely based around the engine age regardless of what exhaust components are fitted.

For example, if your engine was from 1921 so "visible smoke only", they shouldn't see that a CAT is fitted and then change it to measure hydrocarbons etc, just whatever the age of the engine dictates.

mark.silcock

posted on 10/3/20 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
To answer your question - the IVA emissions test is purely based around the engine age regardless of what exhaust components are fitted.

For example, if your engine was from 1921 so "visible smoke only", they shouldn't see that a CAT is fitted and then change it to measure hydrocarbons etc, just whatever the age of the engine dictates.

The car was set up at AP Racing Engines in Blidworth but the emissions were not measured.

It was ten tested at the local garage and it was over the limits.

mark.silcock

posted on 10/3/20 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1

Thank you, a straight answer

gremlin1234

posted on 10/3/20 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
it depends on the engines date...
quote below from the iva manual emissions section

quote:

“Effective Date” The “effective date” used to determine the criteria applicable is - the date of manufacture of the vehicle, except for an “Amateur Built” vehicle, a “Vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle” or a “Rebuilt vehicle” it shall be 1 January immediately preceding the date of manufacture of the vehicle’s engine if this is earlier.

If the “effective date” cannot be determined, it must be assumed to be on or after 1 August 1997.

posted on 10/3/20 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I echo Rusty Nuts.
That's exactly the advice I took with my Delorto 45's.

Paul G

[Edited on 10/3/20 by 907]

mark.silcock

posted on 10/3/20 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
See my post a couple up
rusty nuts

posted on 10/3/20 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
If the person setting it up didn’t check the emissions then he didn’t do a good job .Any decent rolling road operator would have checked and adjusted the emissions
mark.silcock

posted on 10/3/20 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
They were monitoring lambda but not CO and HC.
big_wasa

posted on 10/3/20 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search for air injection.
nick205

posted on 12/3/20 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

Your location says "United Kingdom", do you mind telling us where abouts in the UK?

If your in the Hampshire area I can recommend a very good carb setup guy both my Dad and I have used. He has a rolling road and knows Webers inside out. He got my Pinto with a Weber 32/36 DGV running perfectly and emissions suiyably low.

U2U if you prefer.

mark.silcock

posted on 18/3/20 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I managed to tune them myself and it passed it emissions, went down to 50F8 idle jets and spent an hour or two with a colour tune.

IVA retest booked for April..... as long as it doesn't get canceled!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.