Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil gallery plug
tonythecat1

posted on 23/4/20 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
oil gallery plug

Hi all im new to this forum so please be gentle. im hoping someone on here maybe able to offer some advice. i have a z20let engine and am fitting new oil gallery plugs. i have made a bit of a mistake as the plugs are m14 tappered thread and i have used a straight tap to clear the threads. my local shop says it will be fine as long as i use some threadlock/seal
can anyone advise on this
many thanks in advance

StrikerChris

posted on 24/4/20 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Tapered plug and threadtape or loctite hydraulic sealant should be ok, id be tempted to try this type of plug if the surface around the hole is a machined face though to be safe. linky
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tonythecat1

posted on 24/4/20 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
Tapered plug and threadtape or loctite hydraulic sealant should be ok, id be tempted to try this type of plug if the surface around the hole is a machined face though to be safe. linky

Hi thanks for the reply. i had considered using the different plug but the surface is not machined.

perksy

posted on 24/4/20 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
PTFE tape or a thread sealer will work, just don't overdo it with the quantity

A friends top spec XE went bang on the dyno once and that was traced back to threadlock finding its way into an oilway

I'd just be a little bit concerned about the swarf/metal filings from where you tapped the thread out getting into the oilway
As I'm sure you'll know you need to make sure that the oilways are scrupulously clean and clear

tonythecat1

posted on 24/4/20 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
PTFE tape or a thread sealer will work, just don't overdo it with the quantity

A friends top spec XE went bang on the dyno once and that was traced back to threadlock finding its way into an oilway

I'd just be a little bit concerned about the swarf/metal filings from where you tapped the thread out getting into the oilway
As I'm sure you'll know you need to make sure th
the oilways are scrupulously clean and clear

Thanks very much for the reply. The more i look into this the more im now thinking that the hole was originaly straight tapped with just the plug having a taper thread. ive researched and found mixed views on wether tapered male can be used with straight female. can anyone offer any advice on this. The reason is that when i tapped the thread there was very little resistance and im now thinking the tao may have just been cleaning the sealant out of the thread.
The hole that i tapped is low down with the gallery extending upwards with a side hole coming in about an inch above the tapped area. basically i mannaged to block the gallery through the side hole to prevent any particles traveling up the gallery (gravity will have helped to)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.