Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: F***ed my paint
pekwah1

posted on 6/5/20 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
F***ed my paint

Hi guys,

After some help, have just been respraying my car but a combination of having zero room in the garage combined with forgetting to adjust the air/paint mix on the hub, I’ve got some pretty horrendous runs as below.

This is 2k lacquer mixed with pearl powder over a black base coat.

I’m going to have to let this harden a bit and then try sanding it back, but are there any experts in the house who can give some advice? Have I got any chance of sanding back and spraying back over or am I going to have to flat it right back, apply a new base coat and try again?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

roadrunner

posted on 6/5/20 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you flat back and then spray your top coat you will still see the colour runs.
In my opinion you need to respray your base colour again and then your top coat.
Sorry.

[Edited on 6/5/20 by roadrunner]

flak monkey

posted on 6/5/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
The fact you have pearl in the clear means you need to start again I'm afraid

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

roadrunner

posted on 6/5/20 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
And you may already know but it's best to spray lots of light coats rather than heavy ones.
roadrunner

posted on 6/5/20 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could just vinyl wrap it all.
steve m

posted on 6/5/20 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

Spray painting looks so f ing easy, a bit like plastering, does, soooo easy

No its not !! and ive never mastered the art of either

That is why my old 7 <<< was hand painted, and flatted off, and painted again, and flatted off, repeat a few more times
and the last finish was buffed with various grades of paper to about 2000 grit paper, and then polished and polished repeat repeat

and you never knew!

Although my car was only wings and nose. but I did my Lotus Elan in 1985 the same way, and the paint work on that was a lot better than Lotus ever did !

As for your car, sorry, but a serious rub down is required, and back to an acceptable level to put another basecoat on, but a lot thinner and faster movement to allow a thinner coat

I have a Sealy polisher with mops you can borrow if you want,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 6/5/20 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, I thought that would be the case just thought I’d see if anyone could save me....

The good news is at least the removable bodywork came out ok!!!

@steve - cheers for the offer might take you up on that if we’re ever allowed out again!

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/5/20 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
damn, hate when that kind of thing happens...

This is why I only do matt paints now, so much less hassle. You'd probably be better doing it outside on a very calm day if you don't have a workshop big enough, just wet the ground.

Hope your wearing a suitable vapour mask!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 7/5/20 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh thought about doing it outside, have been flatting back again to base coat / primer again today, almost ready for another base coat and try again
flak monkey

posted on 7/5/20 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
DA or block it back until its completely flat.

Spraying it outside is a good suggestion. Put a weighted, wet tarp down on the ground to stop dust coming up. 2k stays tacky longer than cellulose so its easy to cock it up and it's more likely to get crap stuck in it too....

I'd personally never put any kind of flake in the clear - too much grief - if its just normal clear you can flat black and polish. With any kind of flake/pearl/metallic then it's a one shot deal, same as matt, which I also hate....

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/5/20 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

sdh2903

posted on 7/5/20 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Its a bit irresponsible to be spraying 2k outside if there's any chance of anyone in the vicinity.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/5/20 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Its a bit irresponsible to be spraying 2k outside if there's any chance of anyone in the vicinity.

True but even if done in the garage the fumes will be constantly leaking out anyway or as soon as you open the door. It's more overspray onto someones car that I'd be more worried about.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 8/5/20 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, spent the last couple of days rubbing back down, more primer and base and have had a second go with the pearl 2k, has worked a charm this time, set the gun correctly, didn’t use any thinner and went faster, not a run in sight!!!!

For those concerned about me killing someone, the garage is away from the house and vents out to some woodlands which doesn’t have any public access, wouldn’t have been using 2k unless I was sure it wouldn’t be gassing anyone

Have run out of lacquer for the top coat but will get some pics up soon

roadrunner

posted on 8/5/20 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff.

You may of just killed all the trees though.

steve m

posted on 8/5/20 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I can concur that Andy's garage is a long way from everything, including his house !!

How did you power the compressor ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 8/5/20 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Actually Steve I’ve moved since you last came round, I’m now in a house in north Horsham, the garage is opposite my front door so power is no longer a problem, quite incredible just having light in the garage let alone being able to power my welder and compressor!!!!
steve m

posted on 8/5/20 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good on you Andy,

I was trying to work out how you can power anything with about 200 meters of cable

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.