Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra lock/barrel bush
JC

posted on 12/5/20 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra lock/barrel bush

Hi all, I've just removed the cast upper column section from my Sierra column - the bit with the ignition barrel, steering lock etc. The lock barrel had become so worn that the key was rotating without engaging so some butchery was needed. As a result I need a replacement (she on eBay £40), but as I was thinking of fitting a start button, I might leave the cast section off.

The cast section contains a bearing that supports the steering column inner. What have people used to replace this when they have removed the cast section? I hoped an old top hat suspension bush would fit but alas, no - and no lathe to turn something

Thanks

JC

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 12/5/20 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I turned an ally' cylinder to replace the lock casting and fitted the original bearing in that. Also you need the plastic bush to go between wheel and bearing and spring at the bottom end to pre load the bearings and prevent play.

Alternatively I guess you could put a nylon bush in the top of the tube. Think you'd get too much sticktion with poly.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big_wasa

posted on 12/5/20 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
What steering column have you got. Fixed or adjustable ?
JC

posted on 12/5/20 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Its the adjustable one.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 12/5/20 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
There is more than one type.
Yours look like this ?

[Edited on 12/5/20 by big_wasa]

JC

posted on 12/5/20 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that's the one. It has a bearing at the left end as you look at it there. When removed, the black part on the right stays put and there's a gap between that and the inner shaft.
big_wasa

posted on 12/5/20 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
There is a ding on one end, I dont know a great deal about it as it was in a box of bits.
Yours if your prepared to fetch it from near Spalding Lincs. I can leave out to observe social distancing ect.
I can probably even find an ignition lock and key.

But sorry I can’t post anything at the moment.

JC

posted on 13/5/20 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
That would be awesome. PM sent
JC

posted on 14/5/20 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
New one fitted and fully functioning - many thanks Big Wasa!
big_wasa

posted on 14/5/20 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
No problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.