Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why are bike engines solid mounted
sonic

posted on 23/9/20 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Why are bike engines solid mounted

a theoretical question

why carn't bike engines in a kit car have rubber engine mounts to take some of the vibration away ?

Edwardo

posted on 23/9/20 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good question - and one I've been pondering too recently!
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/20 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Probably no good reason at all. Although I have never owned a BEC I did once solid mount a Pinto in my Falcon and my god it was horrific. Could you not simply use rubber bushes on the engine cradle?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
watsonpj

posted on 23/9/20 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mines on metallastic bushes is not relly solid mount but the rubber is pretty thin walled. I can't see any real reason you could have a more flexible mount to isolate more.
paulf

posted on 23/9/20 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
They are solid mounted in the bike as they form part of the structure, as does the engine gearbox combo in many race cars but not really a need to in a road car.
adithorp

posted on 23/9/20 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
Mines on metallastic bushes...

Mine is too. No reason it should be solid mounted. Having driven cars where they are solid mounted, I can say that even though the bushes are thin walled as watsonpj says, they reduce vibration significantly.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 23/9/20 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I rubber mounted my ZX9R, it made a difference, not a lot but enough to make it worthwhile
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

SPYDER

posted on 24/9/20 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
We incorporated Metalastik bushes into our engine cradle too. It still feels quite solid but they are hopefully just compliant enough to take the edge off of the shock loads and to tame vibrations a bit.

nick205

posted on 24/9/20 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
They are solid mounted in the bike as they form part of the structure, as does the engine gearbox combo in many race cars but not really a need to in a road car.

I'm not a motorcyclist and haven't had a BEC, but this was my thinking. I once drove a tin top with a solid mounted car engine and the noise and vibration was horrendous. Short journey bearable, longer journey (20+ miles) no thanks!

watsonpj

posted on 24/9/20 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just like driving a BEC anyway :-) , you don't notice the engine vibration due to the +6k (at 70mph) and the noise from the exhaust and (rattle) from the quaife reverse box when running at the constant speeds. I still love it but there are times when i kind of think that I should swap back to a car engine (must be getting old).
steve m

posted on 24/9/20 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had many Motorbikes, and another reason i feel that engines are hard mounted, is that they are smaller capacity rev a lot higher, and will be balanced to a higher standard than most normal car engines, hence no requirment to rubber mount them

Except for my Old Norton 850 commando, with its weird mountings front and back, that were to aid in the engine not ripping the lugs off the frame !!!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

trikerneil

posted on 26/9/20 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
'79 - '81 Yamaha XS1100 had a rubber mounted engine to reduce vibration.
First mod is to fit solid mounts to stiffen the frame so it will go round corners better.

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 27/9/20 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Two obvious reasons are 1) it's a stressed member, you reduce the weight of the bike if you can use the engine as part of the chassis and 2) you really don't want a chain drive having alignment changes under high loads - extra wear, potential for misalignment of the rotational axes.

sonic

posted on 27/9/20 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
in a car application the above would not matter as running a propshaft, take the point ab out the quaife reversing box mine sounds awfull and was thinking of taking in out and doing away with reverse.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.